Pulling Data off Web - Need Function Help

  1. #1

    Pulling Data off Web - Need Function Help

    I have searched extensively for an answer to this but can't find anything.

    I am pulling data off the web and it puts data down the column in the following manner:

    Data
    Number
    Number

    Data2
    Number
    Number

    I need to extract each set of Data to another worksheet. The problem is that it will be anywhere from 1 row each to 10 rows each. In each instance, there is a blank between the two sets of Data. I've looked at ISBLANK, LOOKUP, SEARCH, etc. but nothing I've tried has worked out.

    Your help would be GREATLY appreciated!

    Pat

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Pulling Data off Web - Need Function Help

    Hi!

    You need to explain this more thoroughly:

    >I need to extract each set of Data to another worksheet.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Pulling Data off Web - Need Function Help

    Hi!

    You need to explain this more thoroughly:

    >I need to extract each set of Data to another worksheet.

    Biff

    "patfergie44" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Pulling Data off Web - Need Function Help

    Hi!

    You need to explain this more thoroughly:

    >I need to extract each set of Data to another worksheet.

    Biff

    "patfergie44" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Hi Biff,

    When I pull data off the web, it comes in as this one time:

    Data
    Number
    Number

    Data2
    Number
    Number

    And this the next time:

    Data
    Number
    Number
    Number
    Number

    Data2
    Number
    Number
    Number
    Number

    What I want to do is extract this information and place it into another worksheet as:

    Data Number Number
    Data2 Number Number

    And the next time as:

    Data Number Number Number Number
    Data2 Number Number Number Number

    It changes each time up to as many as 10 rows for each of the Data I'm trying to extract. There is always a blank cell between the last number of the first set of Data and the start of Data2.

    Hopefully I've explained this correctly.

    Thanks for your help!

    Pat

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Pulling Data off Web - Need Function Help

    Ok........

    Each time you pull data does each set contain the exact same number of
    entries?

    > Data
    > Number
    > Number

    What is the EXACT location (cell address) of the first set of data starting
    with the word Data?

    Biff

    "patfergie44" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Hi Biff,

    When I pull data from the web, it populates the worksheet. The Heading for the first Data is in cell B1. The numbers then begin in cell B2 and go down. In column A are dates beginning at A2. Depending on how many dates are in the web page depends on how many rows of data I get. There is always a blank cell before the next set of Data2 is displayed. So, I never know where that will be placed on the worksheet. Basically, what I need to do is:

    Beginning at cell B1, I want to place that cell into another worksheet along with everything below it, up to but excluding the blank cell (I won't know how many cells since it will change each time I run the web query). Then, right after the blank cell (it might be B5, B6, B7,etc), I want to place that Data into another worksheet. Hopefully this explains it better.

    Thank you so much for all your help!

    Pat

  8. #8
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Pulling Data off Web - Need Function Help

    Ok.......this is easy but somewhat complicated at the same time.

    This formula will do what you want: (however*)

    =IF(COLUMNS($A:A)<=MATCH("*",$B$2:$B$15,0)-1,INDEX($B:$B,(ROWS($1:1)-1)*MATCH("*",$B$2:$B$15,0)+COLUMNS($A:B)-1),"")

    however* = The most important thing about this is finding how many entries
    are in a set. To do this we need to find the first empty cell between sets.
    Since you said there can be from 1 to 10 entries that means the first empty
    cell should be somewhere in the range of B2:B15. I'm assuming that the
    "numbers" pulled are really numbers and not TEXT, otherwise this formula
    won't work properly.

    Since you may have up to 10 entries per set you need to copy the formula
    across to at least 10 cells. Then, copy down as needed. Add sheet names as
    appropriate.

    I can put together a sample file if you'd like. Just let me know where to
    send it.

    Biff

    "patfergie44" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Hi Biff,

    Thank you again for all your help. I haven't tried the formula yet because, at times, there is the dreaded "NA" in the cells. Generally, there are only numbers. If you could put together a file, that would be AWESOME. I can't thank you enough for your time in helping me out. My email address is:

    [email protected]

    Thanks again!

    Pat

  10. #10
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Pulling Data off Web - Need Function Help

    Ok......

    The "NA" changes things!

    The formula now becomes more complex.

    Biff

    "patfergie44" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  11. #11
    Hey Biff,

    If there's any way you think you can make this work, that would be great. I appreciate all your help in working on this. I'll wait to hear back from you.

    Pat

  12. #12
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Pulling Data off Web - Need Function Help

    Sent a sample file.

    Biff

    "patfergie44" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...