Closed Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

How do I link two columns of data into one column?

  1. #1
    Baylynx
    Guest

    How do I link two columns of data into one column?

    I've done this before but can't remember the solution. I have two columns of
    date: Column A contains first names, Column B conains last names. I created
    column C for the combined contents of A and B. I also want the data
    separated by a space. I understand that if I want to combine the contents of
    two cells, I could use the formula =A1&" "&B1. But how do I do this for
    entire columns with a range of approximately 1,000 cells?

    I am not a heavy user of excel, so please keep the answers simple. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    London
    In C1, type =A1 & " " & B1

    Now hover your cursor over the bottom right hand corner of cell C1 and you will see the cursor change to a cross. Now either:

    1. click (& hold) and drag downwards to copy the formular down the page

    OR (and this is good)

    2. double click the cross!

    This last one depends on you using good Excel practice which is no blank rows or columns in your data otherwise strange - and very irritating - things can happen.

    HTH

    Martin
    Martin Short

  3. #3
    Marcelo
    Guest

    RE: How do I link two columns of data into one column?

    Hi Baylynx

    =se this formula

    =a1&" "&b1

    and copy it down

    HTH
    regards from Brazil - going to the 6th *
    Marcelo

  4. #4
    Baylynx
    Guest

    RE: How do I link two columns of data into one column?

    I'm sorry Marcelo, but I don't understand =se this formula. Can you please
    explain further? Thank you.

  5. #5
    Marcelo
    Guest

    RE: How do I link two columns of data into one column?

    sorry Baylynx it was a typing error

    it means use

    =A1&" "&B1 and copy it down for the 1000 rows