Duplicate Text within single cell. How to identify & split

  1. #1
    TeRex82
    Guest

    Duplicate Text within single cell. How to identify & split

    Greetings,

    I have searched hi & lo for any help on this, but drawn a blank so far.

    I have data which I have combined from 2 cells to 1 cell. {see Example1}

    {Example1}

    ColA: ColB:
    Hardware Vendor

    Cisco Cisco 1700

    I have used the text formula =A2&" "&B2, so come up with...

    "Cisco Cisco 1700" in ColB

    The catch is, sometime the Hardware in Col A is formatted correctly, so the
    text string works correctly. see {Example2}

    Example2

    ColA: ColB:
    HP\Compaq DL 585 G1

    this returns

    "HP\Compaq DL 585 G1", which is perfect.

    I have near on 400 cells, 50% of which are in the incorrect format..so the
    Vendor name is appearing twice.

    Need to identify there duplications and split them out.

    Any ideas would be much appreciated.

    To change the way I receive the original data, would be an insurmountable
    challenge.

    This is how I receive the data.

    Source:
    Several Thousand Records on a sheet, many, many duplications.
    Pivot Table created to reduce duplications to single instances

    One I receive Data:
    Formula used to extract from Pivot Table is simple, =A, =B
    Then =A2&" "&B2 used to get the list with lots of duplications

    Thanks for taking the time to read this,

    Regards

    TerryH

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Sydney, Australia
    MS-Off Ver
    2013 64bit
    Posts
    1,394
    you've posted everything other than a sample of what the incorrect data looks like. I will assume "HP\Compaq DL 585 G1", looks like "
    HP HP\Compaq DL 585 G1", ie with a space.

    This forumula searches to see if there is a space. If there is, it takes the first half of the cell and uses that

    =IF(ISERR(SEARCH(" ",A2)),A2,LEFT(A2,SEARCH(" ",A2)-1)&" "&B2)

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    I am not sure if I am understanding you correct, but here is a stab in the dark.

    I am assuming the incorrect version has the Vendor name filled, and the vendor name along with the hardward name in the Hardware field.

    Maybe this will help, it looks to see if the Vendor name reoccurs in the beginning of the hardware field:

    =IF(LEFT(B1,LEN(A1))=A1,B1,A1&" "&B1)

    So if you apply it to the Cisco example, It will not just show Cisco 1700
    Google is your best friend!

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Duplicate Text within single cell. How to identify & split

    These things are tricky, and nothing will solve all the probs, but this
    should help. Put this in a helper column, copied down...........

    =IF(A1=(LEFT(B1,FIND(" ",B1,1)-1)),B1,A1&" "&B1)

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    TeRex82
    Guest

    Re: Duplicate Text within single cell. How to identify & split

    All suggestions work fine, I have gone with ...

    =IF(LEFT(B1,LEN(A1))=A1,B1,A1&" "&B1)

    Many thanks for your assistance..with limited info supplied

    Will give more details next time I post,