pick from dropdown list

  1. #1
    BorisS
    Guest

    pick from dropdown list

    Just curious...I was in a formula, highlighted a vlookup command (in case
    this question's answer pings on that fact somehow), and right clicked,
    finding a "pick from dropdown list" option. Selected it, but nothing showed
    up in the little box that appears on the sheet itself, just below the formula
    cell. Just curious what this is, and whether I'm missing out on some
    interesting functionality/convenience feature. I am on '03,.

    Thx.
    --
    Boris

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor VBA Noob's Avatar
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    xl03 & xl 07(Jan 09)
    Posts
    11,988
    Hi,

    If you have a list of data say in column A and just after the last entry you right click and select pick from list it shows you a list of all the entries above

    Hoe that helps

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: pick from dropdown list

    Boris

    This is true for any cell no matter what is in the cell.

    The pick from list gives you a choice of items to pick from if there is anything
    in the cells above the cell you are editing.

    Enter a,b,c,d,e,f in A1:A6

    Select A7 and F2 then right-click in the cell.

    Pick from list will give you a choice of a,b,c,d,e,f

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    BorisS
    Guest

    Re: pick from dropdown list

    Sort of selectively works, as a list with lots of values (I have a 12k data
    list for a pivot table) does not give me the option of one of the 12 months I
    have listed in one of those columns, when I go to the end of the list.
    But useful new piece of knowledge nonetheless. Thanks.
    --
    Boris

  5. #5
    BorisS