Is there a way to sort without losing individual set formulas?

  1. #1
    Rachael-R
    Guest

    Is there a way to sort without losing individual set formulas?

    I basically have 5 worksheets that I enter data - formulas are set for each
    row and are different for each. The value I get for the formula is then
    transferred to a summary sheet. But if I sort any one of the 5 data sheets
    my formulas get all screwed up. Plus if I have to add or delete any rows the
    formulas again get screwed up. Is there any way to lock in the formulas. I
    tried protecting but that doesn't seem to do it. Help!

  2. #2
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: Is there a way to sort without losing individual set formulas?

    Nel post news:[email protected]
    *Rachael-R* ha scritto:

    > I basically have 5 worksheets that I enter data - formulas are set
    > for each row and are different for each. The value I get for the
    > formula is then transferred to a summary sheet. But if I sort any
    > one of the 5 data sheets my formulas get all screwed up. Plus if I
    > have to add or delete any rows the formulas again get screwed up. Is
    > there any way to lock in the formulas. I tried protecting but that
    > doesn't seem to do it. Help!

    Hi Rachel,

    What do you mean with "screwed up"?
    Maybe you have some empy column beetwen the data you sort and the zone with
    formulas: for a good sorting you need no empty row/column in your list.

    --
    (I'm not sure of names of menues, option and commands, because
    translating from the Italian version of Excel...)

    Hope I helped you.

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

    Ciao

    Franz Verga from Italy

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Rachel,

    Have you tried modifying all your formulae to absolute references rather than relative ones?
    A "normal" formula most people use consists of relative references a simple example is in cell D5 "=A2-B3". The way Excel looks at this is to start from cell D5 where the formula is and work out where A2 and B3 are relative to D5, these are 3 up and 3 left (A2) and 2 up and 2 left (B3). By copying or sorting this, the relative location is preserved, but you will end up with the wrong answer because the formula is still going 3 up, 3 left and 2 up and 2 left. Write the same formula with the dollar sign infront of both letters and numbers in cell D5 =$A$2-$b$3 will fix the formula to ALWAYS go back to those cells regardless of where the formula is on the sheet - this is an absolute reference.

    Cheers
    Jon