Using a named range in a chart

  1. #1
    THOMAS CONLON
    Guest

    Using a named range in a chart

    Can a named range be used in a chart for one of the series? I have tried
    this, and it doesn't seem to work.
    For instance, i have a name _Date_rng defined (using Insert...Name...Define)
    as "data!$A$2:$A$60". In a chart (XY scatterplot), for one series, i define
    the X values as _Date_rng. Excel formats this as ={"_Date_rng"}. However,
    the chart is now blank, it draws with the axes, but no data is plotted.
    But, when i put the range directly in the chart "Source Data...Series" tab
    as "data!$A$2:$A$60", it plots the data correctly.

    So, is it possible to use a Defined Name (defined as a range) for the series
    of a chart? If not, is there any recommended workaround, as i have many
    series i'd like to use the same defined name for, so that i can change it in
    one place and all the series will be adjusted.

    Thank you . Tom

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    1,500
    I found this strange when I first tried it. You name the names as you have done, its just that they are refered to by the name of the wookbook and then the name of the range.

    =SERIES(IRPR!$N$62,ResponsetoIncidents.xls!ComXPR,ResponsetoIncidents.xls!ComYIR,1)

    The above plots a named xaxis range comxpr and a named series comyir as the first series on a chart. the name of the series in in cell n62

    Regards

    Dav

  3. #3
    THOMAS CONLON
    Guest

    Re: Using a named range in a chart [Follow-up question]

    Where do you put this SERIES() function? I could not find it in help. In
    the Source Data dialog, Series tab, you have a space for Name, X Values, and
    Y Values. So, i do not know how to utilize the SERIES() function you have
    shown.

    I did try entering "c:\Documents and settings\tomcon\my
    documents\misc\Data.xls!Date_rng" for the "X Values". Excel formatted it as
    "={c:\Documents and settings\tomcon\my documents\misc\Data.xls!Date_rng}"
    (added = sign and curly braces). But, the chart still comes up as blank for
    this series.

    And, actually for the Y Values, Excel rejects the syntax altogether and says
    "the formula has an error" and will not let me say OK to the dialog.

    Thank you. Tom

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Forum Expert
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    1,500
    If you plot the chart as normal, using normal ranges, just selecting data directly off the worksheet then finish. If you now edit this chart and click on the dataseries, the series line will appear on your formula bar and then you can edit this as outlined in the previous post

    Regards

    Dav

  5. #5
    THOMAS CONLON