Multiply two colums; BASIC help needed

  1. #1

    Multiply two colums; BASIC help needed

    I am absolutely new to Excel and am having trouble interpreting the Help screens. I am learning by trial-and-error and need the most rudimentary help. For example:

    Given a worksheet with 5 numbers in Col. A and 5 numbers in Col. B ... how do I print in Col. C1 through C5
    a1*b1, a2*b2, a3*b3, a4*b4, a5*b5?

    1) In what box(es) do I enter the formula? -- Do I have to insert an*bn in all 5 cells in Col.C?

    2) After I enter the formula, what key do I click to start the operation?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Marcelo
    Guest

    RE: Multiply two colums; BASIC help needed

    on C column use

    =a1*b1 hit enter

    copy it down (CTRL+C to copy) and (CTRL+V to paste)

    by default calculation is automatic, (tolls | options | calc) the F9
    calculate the formulas when it's set as manual

    hth
    regards from Brazil
    Marcelo

  3. #3
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Multiply two colums; BASIC help needed

    In C1 enter this formula:
    =A1*B1
    After you hit <Enter>, click in C1 again.
    There's a small black square in the bottom right corner of the selected
    (clicked in) cell.
    Hover the cursor over this square until it changes from a fat white cross to
    a skinny black cross.
    Then click and drag down to C5, then release the mouse.

    What you've done is copy the contents of C1 down to all the cells from C2 to
    C5.
    Also, XL has *automatically* changed the cell references within the formula
    to reflect the copied formulas new location relative to the cells that are
    contained in the formula.

    Now, C1 to C5 will return (calculate, display) the results of the their
    individual formulas.

    Calculation should be automatic, where if you change a value in Column A or
    B, the results will immediately be displayed in Column C.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "wdc202" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Multiply two colums; BASIC help needed

    You have a couple of responses with some help.

    Here is more help..............

    Some tutorial sites for basics of Excel........

    http://www.usd.edu/trio/tut/excel/index.html

    http://www.baycongroup.com/el0.htm

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...831141033.aspx

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:38:43 -0500, wdc202
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am absolutely new to Excel and am having trouble interpreting the Help
    >screens. I am learning by trial-and-error and need the most rudimentary
    >help. For example:
    >
    >Given a worksheet with 5 numbers in Col. A and 5 numbers in Col. B ...
    >how do I print in Col. C1 through C5
    >a1*b1, a2*b2, a3*b3, a4*b4, a5*b5?
    >
    >1) In what box(es) do I enter the formula? -- Do I have to insert an*bn
    >in all 5 cells in Col.C?
    >
    >2) After I enter the formula, what key do I click to start the
    >operation?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5

    Re: Multiply two colums; BASIC help needed

    And just to illustrate that there are always multilple ways to achieve
    a result using Excel:

    Click cell C1 and, without letting go of the mouse button, drag down to
    C5 so that they are all selected (cell C1 is unshaded - it's the
    "active" cell)

    Input =A1*B1

    Press and hold Ctrl, press Enter - Excel will fill the selected cells
    with the formula, adusted for the respective cells

    Regards

    Steve