league table without macros

  1. #1

    Question league table without macros

    Dear All,

    My first post on this forum... I'm after a league table spreadsheet that automatically sorts after entering results but I also want a spreadsheet that doesn't use macros (pcs at work prevent the use of macros - I understand why but its a pain still!).

    I know this is possible from looking at this excellent freeware world cup 2006 spreadsheet: http://www.footballsupportersinterna...06/planner.htm

    Ideally I'd like to adapt this spreadsheet for my needs but having unhid all of the worksheets I'm blown away by just how complicated it is: For each world cup group the worksheet is 9 PAGES LONG of what seems like duplicated tables!!!

    Could anyone help me understand this please or even point me to a similar but simpler league table spreadsheet that doesn't contain macros.

    Any help appreciated...thanks in advance.

    Garry

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: league table without macros

    As far as I am aware, there is no way of automatically triggering a sort
    without a macro. I have a World Cup spreadsheet in which the only code
    required is the sort and the sort "trigeer" i.e. an event which causes the
    sort to be executed.

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: league table without macros

    You can do it if you are prepared to have the sorted data as a separate
    table, so you have one data capture table unsorted, one sorted display.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Thanks Topper and Bob Phillips for your replies - its much appreciated.

    You can do it if you are prepared to have the sorted data as a separate
    table, so you have one data capture table unsorted, one sorted display.
    How complicated should this be, Bob ? Only the worldcup spreadsheet seems to have 27 versions of the table (over a 9-page worksheet) which I imagine are at varying stages of sorting? This seems too complicated ? Would you happen to know of a simpler spreadsheet by any chance ?

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: league table without macros

    All of the world cup spreadsheets that I have seen are all very complicated,
    probably due to in part the authors trying to give them a special look and
    feel associated with Germany 2006.

    I have a league table which uses VBA, but I will try and adapt it over the
    next few days to be VBA free. If you send me your email address I will
    notify you if and when it is done.

    Bob Phillips

    "gdh82" <[email protected]> wrote in

  6. #6
    I have a league table which uses VBA, but I will try and adapt it over the
    next few days to be VBA free. If you send me your email address I will
    notify you if and when it is done.
    Thanks very much for this offer, Bob - I'll send you my email details shortly. Garry

  7. #7
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    I have my own football league table which works without macros. It isn't that complicated. As Bob suggests, it basically has one "hidden" table and another table "sorted" in order to view

    It has a list of fixtures. As you enter results the table updates based on 3 points for a win and usual rules to split ties, i.e. goal difference followed by goals scored.

    If you'd like a copy send me a PM with your email address

  8. #8
    Thanks daddylonglegs, I'd be grateful of a copy of your league spreadsheet ! PM on the way!! Thanks again Garry

  9. #9
    Joaco
    Guest

    Re: league table without macros

    Please send me one copy to [email protected]
    Many thanks
    Joaquim

    news:[email protected]...

  10. #10
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: league table without macros

    Daddy,

    I am in the middle of creating my own, but a couple of questions on how you
    address certain points.

    Do you allow for different points scoring systems? I do, by just having a
    data sheet with the points for home and away wins, and a draw. How about
    you?

    How do you manage the change of teams over year to year?

    How do manage the fact that say you have created the table for 20 teams and
    someone else wants to setup a 22 team table? I am thinking here specifically
    of ensuring the derived data automatically picks up the extra data.

    Thanks

    Bob

    "daddylonglegs" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  11. #11
    I have my own football league table which works without macros. It isn't that complicated. As Bob suggests, it basically has one "hidden" table and another table "sorted" in order to view

    It has a list of fixtures. As you enter results the table updates based on 3 points for a win and usual rules to split ties, i.e. goal difference followed by goals scored.
    Thanks very much for emailing me the spreadsheet, daddylonglegs - it runs fine on the work pcs (which don't allow macros). I especially like how easy it is to add/delete teams.

    I'd like to know more about how it works - where is the hidden table?

    The only downside in my opinion is that it doesn't create the fixtures - ideally a fixture grid (home teams-vertical, away teams-horizontal). would be best, I think. I have a spreadsheet (with macros thought) that does the grid which I'd gladly share - I'd like to have a go at merging elements of both spreadsheets ?

    Alternatively, could Bob incorporate a fixture grid into the spreadsheet he's developing ?
    Last edited by gdh82; 07-03-2006 at 08:37 AM.

  12. #12
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: league table without macros

    I am not sure what layout you mean. Take a look at my VBA version,
    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LeagueTable.html, and see if the results
    format is what you mean.

  13. #13
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Phillips
    Daddy,

    I am in the middle of creating my own, but a couple of questions on how you
    address certain points.

    Do you allow for different points scoring systems? I do, by just having a
    data sheet with the points for home and away wins, and a draw. How about
    you?

    How do you manage the change of teams over year to year?

    How do manage the fact that say you have created the table for 20 teams and
    someone else wants to setup a 22 team table? I am thinking here specifically
    of ensuring the derived data automatically picks up the extra data.

    Thanks

    Bob
    Hi Bob,

    To answer your questions.

    I created the spreadsheet originally for my own use. It currently only caters for the standard points system, i.e. 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw but I believe that can be modified fairly easily.

    In my sheet you need to list the teams and also the fixtures although I think gdh82's suggestion of a fixture grid might be a good idea.

    The teamlist has to be modified if the teams change, e.g. due to promotion relegation but it accommodates any number of teams up to 30.

    I certainly can't claim it's a work of art (or if it is, it's more of a Dali that a da Vinci!) but I think it does a reasonable job, perhaps a good job with some modifications. I can send you a copy if you wish.

    If you don't mind, I'll have a look at your VBA version any see if I can nick any ideas

  14. #14
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: league table without macros

    Please send me a copy. At the very least it will give me ideas on adding
    teams as the OP said he liked the way that works.

    I will post mine at my website when finished. If you wish I will post yours
    also, so that people can see different approaches, and hopefully learn from
    studying both.

    Bob Phillips

    "daddylonglegs" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  15. #15
    I am not sure what layout you mean. Take a look at my VBA version,
    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LeagueTable.html, and see if the results
    format is what you mean.
    That's the exactly the perfect layout, Bob !! In fact it turns out I have been using this spreadsheet of yours and didn't even know it. I really like it - its just that I can't use it on the work pcs because they won't allow macros to run

    If I may suggest, Bob, take a look at daddylonglegs' spreadsheet - the means of adding/deleting/renaming teams is simplicity itself. And could I ask, daddylonglegs - how do I look at the hidden table in your spreadsheet ? I'd like to try and understand it better but can't find it ???

    Thanks again guys for the helpful responses - its appreciated and I look forward to more news on the subject...
    Last edited by gdh82; 07-04-2006 at 03:37 AM.

  16. #16
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: league table without macros

    You can at least rest assured that my no-macro version will input the scores
    in the same way <G>

  17. #17
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: league table without macros

    BTW, I haven't received any email address for you yet.

  18. #18
    Thanks for pointing this out but I did pm my email details on 2 July and have re-forwarded them again just now (hope I'm doing it right?)

    You can at least rest assured that my no-macro version will input the scores in the same way <G>
    Great stuff ! Can't wait...

  19. #19
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: league table without macros

    I still haven't got it, but I have just posted a first-cut at

    http://www.xldynamic.com/example code/xld.league_table_sans_vba.xls

    Give it a try and let me know how it goes. When we are happy, I will add it
    to the main page, a VBA and a non-VBA version.

  20. #20
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Quote Originally Posted by gdh82
    And could I ask, daddylonglegs - how do I look at the hidden table in your spreadsheet ? I'd like to try and understand it better but can't find it ???
    Hi gdh,

    it's not actually hidden (although it can be) - its just a few columns over to the right on the table worksheet, just scroll across until you find it...

  21. #21
    it's not actually hidden (although it can be) - its just a few columns over to the right on the table worksheet, just scroll across until you find it...
    Sorry about that (v. embarassing!)

    As for the hidden table, I'm impressed by how consise it is (so much less convoluted than the world cup spreadsheets I've seen). There's a number of functions that I haven't used before so I'll need to look them up to help me understand it (!) but for now could I ask what the adg score represents ? Thanks again.
    Last edited by gdh82; 07-05-2006 at 08:04 AM.

  22. #22
    I still haven't got it, but I have just posted a first-cut at

    http://www.xldynamic.com/example code/xld.league_table_sans_vba.xls
    Fantastic - its works a dream on the pcs at work (that is soo good to see!) I've got a couple of thoughts of possible tweaks, if I may. The main one is to ask if its possible to includea separate worksheet containing the teamlist (akin to daddylonglegs' table) so the user can easily add/delete/rename teams? Many thanks again. Garry

  23. #23
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: league table without macros

    I'll take a look at that. It's a good idea to manage the teams, better than
    my suggestion.

    What are the others?

  24. #24
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Quote Originally Posted by gdh82
    Sorry about that (v. embarassing!)

    As for the hidden table, I'm impressed by how consise it is (so much less convoluted than the world cup spreadsheets I've seen). There's a number of functions that I haven't used before so I'll need to look them up to help me understand it (!) but for now could I ask what the adg score represents ? Thanks again.
    Hi gdh, I'm sure Bob can produce something rather superior to mine but to answer your question....

    "Adg score" should really be "adj score" meaning "adjusted score". Basically the number of points is adjusted by a very small amount based on goal difference or goals scored which ensures that when there is a tie on points the team with the best goal difference has a slightly higher "adj score" and is therefore ranked higher.

    Similarly if both points and goal difference are equal then the team with the most goals scored will have a slightly higher "adj score" ensuring, again, that the correct team is ranked higher.

  25. #25
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: league table without macros

    I use a points, goal difference, goals scored, row algorithm to ensure
    unique ranking in mine.

    Bob Phillips

    "daddylonglegs" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  26. #26
    "Adg score" should really be "adj score" meaning "adjusted score". Basically the number of points is adjusted by a very small amount based on goal difference or goals scored which ensures that when there is a tie on points the team with the best goal difference has a slightly higher "adj score" and is therefore ranked higher.
    Thanks for explaining that, daddylonglegs. IMO that's a really original way around the problem - I would never have thought of approaching it like that in a million years! My eyes are being opened...

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Phillips
    I'll take a look at that. It's a good idea to manage the teams, better than my suggestion.

    What are the others?
    My only other suggestions concern the layout of the table so I guess this is only my particular preferences and others may disagree.

    For my purposes I've been using your league table for about 6-10 players which reduces the size of the fixture grid considerably so I'd like to have the table on the same page as the fixtures. Ideally this need only be the 'overall & pts' columns of the table. This is simply a practical issue when printing off a hardcopy for the office noticeboard.

    I also think the table would look better if it could have alternating shaded backgrounds for each of rows - just to guide the eye.

    The table worksheet has the default orientation as portrait rather than landscape, by the way.

    Finally I did tend to find that with the macro version of the spreadsheet I'd get run-time errors occasionally after added/deleting teams and once the errors had started I generally would have to resort to an earlier version of the spreadsheet. I guess, though, this won't be an issue with the non-macro version?

    Hope I'm not sounding too picky - just take this as constructive feedback - as I'm already very impressed with your excellent spreadsheet and am grateful of your willingness to help. Garry

  28. #28
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: league table without macros

    Garry,

    What I could do is to put the table and the results on the same page, in
    separate windows, and the user could then close the second window if they
    didn't want it, or it is a small table. The teams table would be separate
    though still.

    The line shading should be easy with CF, and I will set to landscape.

    As for the VBA version, you don't know the sequence of events that caused by
    any chance, I would like to fix it.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Phillips
    What I could do is to put the table and the results on the same page, in
    separate windows, and the user could then close the second window if they
    didn't want it, or it is a small table. The teams table would be separate
    though still.

    As for the VBA version, you don't know the sequence of events that caused by
    any chance, I would like to fix it.
    Thanks again or the further post, Bob. Sounds good to me- would it possible to print the two separate windows as one page of hardcopy ?

    As a very basic workaround on the VBA version I'd simply added a few '=' operators to the right of the fixture grid that linked to the relevant cells in the table worksheet. This then gave me the table on the same worksheet as the fixture grid.

    I'm afraid I don't know the exact sequence but I think it was a combination of adding the table to the fixture worksheet and adding/deleting teams that caused the run-time errors. Perhaps I was putting the table in a place where the fixtures overlapped ? Sorry I can't be more sure than that.

    Cheers
    Garry

  30. #30
    Hi Bob,

    I know its only been a week since the last post and its really brilliant that you're looking into this at all, but I just wanted to follow this up and ask how the spreadsheet was going?

    Hope I didn't sound too pedantic about the layout issues as really they are secondary. The only key thing (I think) that needs to be added to the non-macro version is a tab that can used to add/delete teams.

    Look forward to your next post on the subject.
    Thanks again
    Garry

  31. #31
    Hey good work lads but i have a question. I tried finding the 'hidden' table by scrolling right but couldn't find it, and can anyone tell me how to use the 'adj score'?

    Thanks in advance

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon23
    I tried finding the 'hidden' table by scrolling right but couldn't find it, and can anyone tell me how to use the 'adj score'?
    Hi Jon23,

    To find the 'hidden table' make sure you're on the 'table' tab and scroll right and its just off screen. The 'adj score' is the clever idea by daddylonglegs and his explanation of it is:
    "Adg score" should really be "adj score" meaning "adjusted score". Basically the number of points is adjusted by a very small amount based on goal difference or goals scored which ensures that when there is a tie on points the team with the best goal difference has a slightly higher "adj score" and is therefore ranked higher.
    I've actually got a question myself too - for you Jon23, daddylonglegs or bob phillips or anyone else that might be able to help ?

    I really like the ease with which I can add and delete teams using daddylonglegs' spreadsheet - there's simply a 'teamlist' tab where teams can be added and deleted - its so elegant! I would like to take this feature and add it to bob phillips' spreadsheet (which displays the fixtures in a grid so elegantly) - could anyone help me in trying to do this ammendment ?

    Any help with this would be much appreciated...

    Cheers
    Garry
    Last edited by gdh82; 08-13-2006 at 08:41 AM.

  33. #33
    I still can't find it and I scrolled all the way over lol

    Thanks about adj score, but what I meant to ask was how do I use it in a formulae

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon23
    I still can't find it and I scrolled all the way over lol

    Thanks about adj score, but what I meant to ask was how do I use it in a formulae
    Are u using the spreadsheet leaguetable.xls (405K) with four tabs: instructions, teamlist, fixtures and table ? Daddlylonglegs emailed it to me. If you haven't then you won't be able to find the hidden table but just pm me if you haven't.

  35. #35
    kk cheers mate ive pm'd you

  36. #36

    Question

    Dear All,

    I'm seeking a 'football league' spreadsheet just like the very impressive one from Bob Phillips below but one which doesn't use macros. (They won't run on our work computers)

    I'd like a spread sheet that not only automatically updates the league table one results have been entered but one which generates the fixtures too (just like Bob's! )

    Any pointers, suggestions much appreaciated...

    Garry

  37. #37
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    If you look on the same link you should also see a "non-VBA solution" (i.e. it doesn't use macros) although I don't know if it has all the functionaality you require......

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by daddylonglegs
    If you look on the same link you should also see a "non-VBA solution" (i.e. it doesn't use macros) although I don't know if it has all the functionaality you require......

    Not sure how I missed that!

    But thanks very much for pointing that out, daddylonglegs! This could be exactly what I was after Will post back with how I get on!