How do I copy the contents of a range of text cells and paste into one cell?

  1. #1

    Question How do I copy the contents of a range of text cells and paste into one cell?

    Hi,
    Excel 2003 question:

    I have a sheet that contains text in consecutive cells (in a column), I need to copy all the consecutive cells' texts into one cell in a separate spreadsheet.
    Is there any quick way to do this? Just selecting the individual texts and copy/pasting is time consuming and a pain. I have multiple occurrences of this and need to find a quick way.

    All help and suggestions very much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dave.

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I copy the contents of a range of text cells and paste into one cell?

    How many cells are you talking about and how much text is in them?

    What you want can be done but may not be practical due to some limits in Excel.

    Maybe some other method could be employed?

    If not, use this UDF to stick the text into one cell....comma delimited as
    written and ignores blank cells in the range.

    If don't want a comma just delete that from the code.

    Function ConCatRange(CellBlock As Range) As String
    Dim cell As Range
    Dim sbuf As String
    For Each cell In CellBlock
    If Len(cell.text) > 0 Then sbuf = sbuf & cell.text & ","
    'remove & "," if you don't need comma de-limited
    Next
    ConCatRange = Left(sbuf, Len(sbuf) - 1)
    End Function

    On Sheet2 enter =ConCatRange(Sheet1!A1:A10)

    If not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie's site for more on
    "getting started".

    In the meantime..........

    To create a General Module, hit ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

    Hit CRTL + R to open Project Explorer.

    Find your workbook/project and select it.

    Right-click and Insert>Module. Paste the above code in there. Save the
    workbook and hit ALT + Q to return to your workbook.

    Enter the formula as instructed above.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 20:49:06 -0500, davfin
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >Excel 2003 question:
    >
    >I have a sheet that contains text in consecutive cells (in a column), I
    >need to copy all the consecutive cells' texts into one cell in a
    >separate spreadsheet.
    >Is there any quick way to do this? Just selecting the individual texts
    >and copy/pasting is time consuming and a pain. I have multiple
    >occurrences of this and need to find a quick way.
    >
    >All help and suggestions very much appreciated.
    >Thanks,
    >Dave.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How do I copy the contents of a range of text cells and paste into

    Just some thoughts ..
    Select the columnar range > paste into Notepad
    Then just select & copy the pasted range in Notepad,
    back into Excel, click inside the formula bar of an empty cell > paste
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How do I copy the contents of a range of text cells and paste

    whoops, typo in line:
    > Select the columnar range > paste into Notepad

    should read as:
    > Select the columnar range > copy & paste into Notepad

    (missed out the "copy" part)

  5. #5
    Hi Gord,
    Tried it but no joy I'm afraid.
    I have 4 columns with 139 rows, each cell has approx 20 characters in it. I want to copy groups of cells in a column (anything up to approx 11 cells) into a single cell on a separate .xls spreadsheet (not a sheet in the same workbook).

    Dave.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gord Dibben

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >Excel 2003 question:
    >
    >I have a sheet that contains text in consecutive cells (in a column), I
    >need to copy all the consecutive cells' texts into one cell in a
    >separate spreadsheet.
    >Is there any quick way to do this? Just selecting the individual texts
    >and copy/pasting is time consuming and a pain. I have multiple
    >occurrences of this and need to find a quick way.
    >
    >All help and suggestions very much appreciated.
    >Thanks,
    >Dave.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    Vancouver
    Use text concatenation formulas as follows:

    Formula in Cell Sheet1!A1 of Book2:

    =+[Book1]Sheet1!$A$2&[Book1]Sheet1!$A$3

    Afterwards, convert everything to static values.

  7. #7

    Smile

    Max,
    Thanks for the suggestion - as always the simple things are often the best, it works a treat after you delete the space between the texts while it's in Notepad (it contains the Excel formatting and will paste into separate cells otherwise). It's then a simple case of inserting spaces where needed once it's pasted into the new spreadsheet cell.

    Thanks,
    Dave.

    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    whoops, typo in line:

  8. #8
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How do I copy the contents of a range of text cells and paste

    Glad it worked, Dave.
    Thanks for the feedback ..