Advanced Filter (Criteria + Blanks)

  1. #1
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Bristol, UK
    MS-Off Ver

    Advanced Filter (Criteria + Blanks)

    Hi all,

    I've got a spreadsheet being used to flag missing dates in a tracking device. Each project in the tracker is assigned a Team Leader and is given two rows: one showing which dates are missing, and one below for them to fill in the dates.

    As there are over 400 projects and only five team leaders, I'd like them to be able to filter their own projects out (there's a column showing who's leading the project) and still have the blank row for them to fill in the necessary dates.

    My problem arises when I try to implement this filter. The 'Autofilter' option only allows one criteria to be used, and the 'Advanced Filter' appears not to allow one to use blanks.

    Can anyone suggest a means to get around this? I know the simplest way would be to have the fillable cells as columns - however, the spreadsheet has been designed to mirror another report where the dates will be copied and pasted, and hence I have to use rows for rapidity in getting the new information into the main report.

    Any help appreciated,

    TIA,

    SamuelT

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Advanced Filter (Criteria + Blanks)

    Autofilter will allow 2 values if you select the custom, option.

    Another solution is to add a helper column and use a formula to indicate
    which pass and which don't, and then filter on that.

    Bob Phillips

    "SamuelT" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Bristol, UK
    MS-Off Ver
    Thanks for those suggestions Bob.

    Do you (or anyone) know how to state the (Blank) criteria when setting a custom Autofilter?

    Thanks,

    Sam

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Advanced Filter (Criteria + Blanks)

    Sam,

    Does not equal * seems to work

  5. #5

    Re: Advanced Filter (Criteria + Blanks)

    Choose your first criteria (whatever you want)
    Or
    Equals
    (and leave that second dropdown (on the right) completely empty.)