Show the last # in a column

  1. #1
    Alaskan in a Cubicle
    Guest

    Show the last # in a column

    Seems simple, but I'm not figuring it out. I have a one-page sheet on which
    others will periodically add information to some columns. At the bottom, I
    want a row to display the last valid number in that column - whether it's on
    the 5th row or the 40th row. So, if the cell is blank or has anything other
    than a number (like an invalid formula) it should go up to the last valid
    number. Finally, remind me how I get a cell to be blank if the result of the
    formula is either 0 or invalid because some source-cells in the formula have
    not yet been filled in - just so the worksheet is cleaner when printed.
    Thank you.
    --
    DR

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    For last value in a range:

    =LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,B1:B100) adjust range to suit

    For returning a blank:

    e.g.

    =If(Isna(Vlookup.....),"",Vlookup(.....)) or

    =If(Vlookup(....)=0,"",Vlookup(....))

    Where Vlookup(....) could be any condition.

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Show the last # in a column

    Try this:

    The ADDRESS of the last numeric value in Col_A:
    =CELL("address",INDEX(A:A,MATCH(10^99,A:A)))

    The VALUE of the last numeric value in Col_A:
    =LOOKUP(10^99,A:A)

    To hide the result if no numbers are in col_A:
    =IF(COUNT(A:A),LOOKUP(10^99,A:A),"")

    Does that help?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  4. #4
    Alaskan in a Cubicle
    Guest

    RE: Show the last # in a column

    I needed the value & it worked - thank you. But because I'm of those people
    who must know why - not just how - can you explain to me what the 10^99 is
    actually saying?
    --
    DR

  5. #5
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Show the last # in a column

    >>can you explain to me what the 10^99 is
    > actually saying?

    The 10^99 is just a much larger number than I ever anticipate finding in a
    worksheet. When that number is not found, the last numeric cell is returned.

    Note: Technically, 9.99999999999999E+307 is the largest nuimber Excel can
    handle, but for all of my purposes the 10^99 works just fine.

    Does that help?
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP

  6. #6
    Alaskan in a Cubicle
    Guest

    RE: Show the last # in a column

    Ahhh - now I see. Very clever - why didn't I think of that? Thanks again.
    --
    DR