keystroke to go to first worksheet cell from anywhere in notebook

  1. #1
    sheepranch
    Guest

    keystroke to go to first worksheet cell from anywhere in notebook

    Looking for a shortcut keystroke that would place me back to the A1 cell of
    the 1st worksheet from anywhere in the notebook. I know that I can get to
    that point by using "control+page up". Quatro Pro spoiled me by letting me
    use "Control+Home"

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...heet.functions

  2. #2
    JLatham
    Guest

    RE: keystroke to go to first worksheet cell from anywhere in notebook

    I don't think there's a shortcut key combination to do that. You can use
    [Ctrl]+[PageUp] to move to the previous page to the left in a book. Repeat
    to move through all pages until you get to the first one.

    You can use the Excel Help feature, topic Excel shortcut and function keys
    to get a complete listing of the documented shortcuts. I didn't see what you
    are asking for in it, but may have missed it.

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Perth, Australia

    First worksheet

    If you want to create a shortcut to go to A1 in your first worksheet why dont you just record a macro with a shortcut key assigned to it and select your first worksheet and select cell A1?

    The macro would end up looking something like this :

    Sub gohome()
    Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate
    Range("A1").Select
    End Sub

  4. #4
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: keystroke to go to first worksheet cell from anywhere in notebook

    This is not keystrokes, but,
    FWIW
    Create a named range!

    Click in Sheet1 A1,
    Click in name box,
    Type in something short, like
    top
    Hit <Enter>

    Now, from *any* sheet, click in the name box and click on "top",
    And you're there!

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    sheepranch
    Guest

    RE: keystroke to go to first worksheet cell from anywhere in noteb

    Thanks for the info. I figured that out. I was hoping that there was a less
    cumbersome way of getting back to worksheet 1, A1

  6. #6
    sheepranch
    Guest

    Re: keystroke to go to first worksheet cell from anywhere in noteb

    Thanks. I'll try making a macro...never done that before. Would your
    suggested macro be a "generic" macro for any notebook I was in or would I
    have to make a macro for each separate notebook?

  7. #7
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: keystroke to go to first worksheet cell from anywhere in noteb

    The proper term for an Excel file is Workbook, not notebook.

    If you want a macro to be available for all open workbooks, record it to your
    Personal Macro Workbook.

    Tools>Macro>Record New Macro. In the dialog that opens, select Person Macro
    Workbook from the "store macro in" drop-down.

    This workbook is named Personal.xls and is created automatically and stored by
    Excel in your XLSTART folder.

    This file will open up whenever you start a session of Excel.

    When it opens, you can click on Windw>Hide and hide it.

    Save it when asked and it will open hidden from then on.

    For more on Personal.xls see Help on that subject.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  8. #8
    sheepranch
    Guest

    Re: keystroke to go to first worksheet cell from anywhere in noteb

    Thanks for the info. I'll try it.