Cells display function's text rather than its results

  1. #1

    Cells display function's text rather than its results

    noob here...

    Just created a simple CONCATENATE function combining two text strings on two different worksheets (within same .xls document). The result is a URL. No empty gaps, all formatted as General.

    Everything worked just fine the first several times I opened, saved and reopened the document.

    Then it started getting weird: dates are suddenly displayed as 5-digit numbers (tried formatting cells as dates, won't change), and the formula is displayed rather than the result. I've tried reformatting, re-launching, etc... and I just can't get it back to the way it was. It's like a huge, irreversible reformatting took place of its own accord. Any tips?

    Many thanks in advance.

    TRL

    (office 2000, win XP)

  2. #2

    more specs...

    function =
    =CONCATENATE(Sheet2!A1,A2)

    text displayed used to be:
    [the correct text string, combining text from 2 fields)

    it is now:
    "=CONCATENATE(Sheet2!A1,A2)"

    date =
    07/06/2006

    date displayed =
    38904

    thanks....

  3. #3

    Re: Cells display function's text rather than its results

    Make sure that the cell is formatted as General and then reenter the formula.

    And try something like:

    =concatenate(sheet2!a1,text(a2,"mm/dd/yyyy"))
    or simply
    =sheet2!a1 & text(a2,"mm/dd/yyyy")

  4. #4
    thanks, that definitely worked for the dates.

    But there are two separate issues:

    1. Dates inputed AS TEXT are appearing as 5-digit numbers.
    2. Functions displayed rather than their results.

    I mention them together, because I think they are related. They both occurred at the same time (I have no idea what I did), and they both involved text being displayed as formulae. All cells are formatted as General.

    Let me ask another way: is there a way to have the CONCATENATE results displayed as the function formula? Lets say you want to look at an entire worksheet and see only the functions/formulae in each cell, rather than the results of them. Is this possible? If so, maybe I accidentally did this, and I want to make it go back?

    BTW, the results of the concatenate forumla will simply be a URL. The function grabs the first 20 characters, and then adds the PRODUCT_CODE from another cell, which takes you to a URL for that specific product online. No special characters, all alphanumeric.

    THANKS in advance!!!!

  5. #5

    Re: Cells display function's text rather than its results

    I'm not sure what entering dates as text means, but...

    Maybe you're looking at formulas.

    Tools|options|view tab|uncheck formulas.

    There's a shortcut key that toggles this setting that may have been hit in
    error.

    Ctrl-` (ctrl-backquote, the key to the left of the 1/! on my USA keyboard)

    And this can be a quick way to look at the formulas, too.

    If you want that URL to be a hyperlink, you may want to do something like:

    =hyperlink(yourformulahere,"Click Me!")