Forcing value based on list choice??

  1. #1

    Red face Forcing value based on list choice??

    I apologise if this has been answered previously. I have searched but cannot find a solution for my problem.

    In column B, I have a data validation list:
    Choice 1
    Choice 2
    Choice 3
    Choice 4

    In Column D, I have the following values:
    Answer 3 - (in D16)
    Answer 4 - (in D17)

    If Choices 1 or 2 are selected from the drop down list, the user needs to manually complete a value in Column C because these choices have an unknown number of possible values.

    However, if Choice 3 is selected, I would like the corresponding Column C cell to populate with a known value - Answer 3.

    Similarly, if Choice 4 is selected, Answer 4 needs to appear in the corresponding cell in Column C.

    I know how to make a dependent list (thank you Debra Dalgleish) but this still means the user has to know to go into the relevant cell in Column C to make the next choice.

    Is there a way to make the values just "appear" in the right spot when a particular choice is made from the list? You're probably wondering why ... trust me ... it just needs to be ...

    I would be very appreciative of any assistance.

    I apologise if this is a "dumb" question but I'm stumped.

    Thanking you in advance.
    With gratitude,

    Potoroo

  2. #2
    paul
    Guest

    RE: Forcing value based on list choice??

    a vlookup would display your answers in a specific cell,the corresponding
    answer to choice 1 and 2 could be,compute value in (say) c5.
    so just say your validation list displays its answer in c1
    the vlookup formula is=vlookup(c1,B14:D17,3,false)
    in d14 and d15 "compute value in c5"
    --
    paul
    [email protected]

  3. #3
    Hello Paul,

    Thank you for taking the time to reply.

    I have done more research and found that I probably can't get the result I want. I want to send a result into the blank cells from cells containing a formula but Excel is unable to do this.

    As I already know the answers to Choices 3 and 4, I might just use conditional formatting to grey out these cells to indicate no response is required for these selections.

    Again, my thanks for your assistance.