Enforce cell completion

  1. #1
    Simon
    Guest

    Enforce cell completion

    I have a worksheet with which I want to make sure particular cells have
    content filled in them before it is closed. Could anyone give me some
    instruction on how to do this. Im new to this so any detail on where to go
    and what to put in would be more than appreciated.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Apart from using a big stick there is no foolproof way to do this, as whilst you could write VB code to request cell completion you cannot force a user to enable macros when opening a workbook.

    Closest is a reminder, via select the required cell, and Format, Conditional Formatting, and set Cell Value, is Equal to, ="" and set the Pattern to Red.

    This will highlight all required cells that have not yet been given a value.

    HTH

    ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon

  3. #3
    Simon
    Guest

    Re: Enforce cell completion

    That works great thanks.

    Moving on from that what would the formula be if cell A2 was to show red if
    it had no contents but only if cell A1 had been filled in?

    Thanks for the advice – lots made my day a lot more productive!

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Enforce cell completion

    Simon

    You seem satisfied with the answer you received, but how will that "enforce cell
    completion" before closing?

    I, as user, can simply ignore your red flags and carry on.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    The formula would then be:
    set to Formuls (not Cell Value = )

    =AND($A$1<>"",B1="")

    As Gord Dibben pointed out this does not 'enforce' completion, merely highlights the requirement.

    HTH

    ---