Help with a SUM function...

  1. #1

    Question Help with a SUM function...

    Hi everyone,

    I need some help with a SUM function. Basicaly, in my spreadsheet, the first couple of rows have numbers and letters in them.

    The problem is that i need every column to have a total, which is also located at the top.

    Is is possible to get a SUM functions which, for exampls adds up column B from cell B4 to infinity? What i mean is that the end range is basicaly infinity, as i dont know how many rows down i will go.

    If this is not possible, is it possible to get a SUM of column B, but somehow make it exclude the first 3 rows from its sum?

    ANY HELP WILL BE GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED! THANK YOU ALL!

  2. #2
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Help with a SUM function...

    "mitov" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I need some help with a SUM function. Basicaly, in my spreadsheet, the
    > first couple of rows have numbers and letters in them.
    >
    > The problem is that i need every column to have a total, which is also
    > located at the top.
    >
    > Is is possible to get a SUM functions which, for exampls adds up column
    > B from cell B4 to infinity? What i mean is that the end range is
    > basicaly infinity, as i dont know how many rows down i will go.
    >
    > If this is not possible, is it possible to get a SUM of column B, but
    > somehow make it exclude the first 3 rows from its sum?
    >
    > ANY HELP WILL BE GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED! THANK YOU ALL!

    =SUM(B4:B65536)

    You could also use
    =SUM(B:B)-SUM(B1:B3) but if you are putting the total at the top of the
    column you are calculating, this would give a circular reference.
    --
    David Biddulph

  3. #3
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Help with a SUM function...

    On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 07:04:09 -0400, mitov
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >I need some help with a SUM function. Basicaly, in my spreadsheet, the
    >first couple of rows have numbers and letters in them.
    >
    >The problem is that i need every column to have a total, which is also
    >located at the top.
    >
    >Is is possible to get a SUM functions which, for exampls adds up column
    >B from cell B4 to infinity? What i mean is that the end range is
    >basicaly infinity, as i dont know how many rows down i will go.
    >
    >If this is not possible, is it possible to get a SUM of column B, but
    >somehow make it exclude the first 3 rows from its sum?
    >
    >ANY HELP WILL BE GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED! THANK YOU ALL!

    Why not just =Sum(B4:B65536) ?

    HTH

    __
    Richard Buttrey