More sort options - do they exist?

  1. #1

    More sort options - do they exist?

    Hi everyone,
    I have a worksheet where I have to sort data in four columns, yet excel provides the options (Data > Sort) to only sort 3 columns.

    Are there options to sort through more columns?

    I need to be able to sort in the order of the four columns and the file can be found here -
    http://www.waratahs.com.au/DrawsandC...r-DOWNLOAD.xls
    The data to be sorted is between B5-O16 and then sorted in the following order:
    1. PTS - Descending
    2. W - Descending
    3. L - Ascending
    4. % - Descending

    How do I do this? Any help would be great.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Ryan Poth
    Guest

    RE: More sort options - do they exist?

    Shaunl,

    Try sorting by your 4th criterion, then sort again by the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
    The integrity of the first sort (4th criterion) 4th criteria sort should be
    retained.

    HTH,
    Ryan

  3. #3

    Re: More sort options - do they exist?

    If you're using xl2003 (and maybe xl2002, I don't remember), you could apply
    data|Filter|autofilter to the range.

    Then use the dropdown to sort by individual columns (do it 4 times in reverse
    order of importance).

    You could also float a rectangle over the header in each column and use a macro
    to sort by that column (again, you'd have to do it 4 times in reverse order of
    importance).

    But Debra Dalgleish has some setup code and code to do the work:
    http://contextures.com/xlSort02.html

  4. #4
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: More sort options - do they exist?

    Another way is to join two or more columns together in a helper column
    (using &) and then sort using the helper column - e.g. your first two
    columns, where the sort order is descending. If they are text values
    you may want to make them fixed length by adding spaces at the end, and
    if they are numeric you may need to add leading zeros to retain the
    same number of digits.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  5. #5
    hi guys,
    many many thanks.

    The first option of sorting the fourth column first and then the remaining three seems to work. However I won't know for sure until I get deeper into processing the data on a weekly basis.

    I will be giving the file from http://contextures.com/xlSort02.html a run and try that as it looks like a great option.

    I shall let you know how i go.

    cheers
    shaun in sydney