LARGE with text string

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    LARGE with text string

    I have the following formula that works.

    =INDEX(A34:D39,MATCH(LARGE($D$34:$D$39,4),$D$34:$D$39,0),1)

    However when trying to change the the LARGE function to the SMALL function I am running in to difficulty. The reason for the problem is that the string the SMALL function is a text string. For example 4900-. 4900 with a trailing negative sign instead of a positive sign. I need the SMALL to take the two highest digits beginning from the left and then determine the smallest.

    Thanks,

    ep

  2. #2
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: LARGE with text string

    Try using a helper column where the text strings are converted to
    numerical values, and then use this new column for your formula. For
    example, enter the following formula in a column, let's say Column E,
    starting at E34...

    E34, copied down:

    =IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("-",D34)),-SUBSTITUTE(D34,"-",""),SUBSTITUTE(D34,"+",""
    )+0)

    Then use this column for your formula.

    Hope this helps!

    In article