average formula ingoring empty cells

  1. #1

    average formula ingoring empty cells

    I need to create a formula to average several cells, but the cells are not in a range.

    So far I have =AVERAGE(G3, J3, M3, P3, S3), which works fine, but cells M3,
    P3 and S3 are empty (zero) until I have the data that I need. I want the formula to already be set up for future input.

    I've been able to make it work for a range of values (G3:S3), but not with indivual cells in a group.

    Help please! Thanks.

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    the average formula you posted will ignore blanks, but not zero values. here is an alternative formula, which will average the cells you requested, including only the non zero values. J is column 10, M is column 13, etc.

    =SUMPRODUCT((MOD(COLUMN(G3:S3)-1,3)=0)*(G3:S3<>0)*(G3:S3))/SUMPRODUCT((MOD(COLUMN(G3:S3)-1,3)=0)*(G3:S3<>0))
    not a professional, just trying to assist.....

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: average formula ingoring empty cells

    Hi!

    Not sure what you're asking for.

    >cells M3, P3 and S3 are empty (zero)

    Are the cells EMPTY or do they contain the number 0?

    AVERAGE will ignore the empty cells, they are not included as 0 values. Do
    you want to exclude cells that contain the number 0?

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Valued Forum Contributor
    another solution to ignore the zero values (or blanks) in the range you requested - enter this with control+shift+enter

    =AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN($G$3:$S$3)-1,3)=0,IF($G$3:$S$3>0,$G$3:$S$3)))