Hyperlinks Not Instant In 2007 ??

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    Love City, USA

    Question Hyperlinks Not Instant In 2007 ??

    HI, I am using the new 2007 Beta 2 from Microsoft Excel, the problem I am having is that the Hyperlinks I used under 2003 were instant when you clicked on them, Using the same files in 2007 I have to hold down the Mouse button for a few seconds in order to activate the link (Hyperlink).

    The 2003 version Comments "Click Once To Follow. Click and hold to Select This Cell" , Now It ony tells you "Click and Hold To Follow" in 2007....

    Is there some type of setting to make the links instant like in 2003?

    thanks In Advance... And VERY HAPPY THIS SITE IS BACK UP AGAIN
    Last edited by Mhz; 07-12-2006 at 06:08 AM.

  2. #2
    SteveW
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlinks Not Instant In 2007 ??

    On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:35:29 +0100, Mhz =

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > HI, I am using the new 2007 Beta 2 from Microsoft Excel, the problem =

    > am having is that the Hyperlinks I used under 2003 were instant when
    > you clicked on them, Using the same files in 2007 I have to hold down=

    > the Mouse button for a few seconds in order to activate the link
    > (Hyperlink).
    >
    > Is there some type of setting to make the links instant like in 2003?
    >
    > thanks In Advance... And VERY HAPPY THIS SITE IS BACK UP AGAIN

    have you been away long then ?

    -- =

    Steve (3)

  3. #3
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlinks Not Instant In 2007 ??

    Mhz

    I think this is by design as the tooltip in XL2007, say's 'Press, hold and
    release to follow hyperlink'

    This is a change as I think it was frustratingly easy to follow a hyperlink
    in Excel<12 when you only wanted to select the cell

    I can't find a setting to change it

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    Love City, USA
    Yes Nick, Thanks for the reply... I'm right at 40 years old now and through the years it never seems to get better with certain computer programs when some things go from good to worst... It amazes me that they wouldn't just put a simple choice for the the link selections.. I personally like the Idea of moving on the fly.. Click the link and get where I need to be..

    I used to use various Music Programs and it never fails that one program always had something the other didn't and vise-versa... Very few Programs seem to have things very fexible for many users.... It just blows my mind that the improvements for 2007 actually will aquire you to now wait and hold a cell for a second or two to follow a link...WOW HOW UNIQUE! no choice at all, at least as I see it now...

    Some may question, "What's a second or two going to hurt?" well, in my opinion it does make difference with flow and feel.. I really like the idea of actually clicking a link and getting fast results without hold a mouse button down. Anyway, that's my personal opinion..
    Last edited by Mhz; 07-13-2006 at 01:21 AM.

  5. #5
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlinks Not Instant In 2007 ??

    Yes, for some users who use a feature regularly, change can be a pain, I am
    staggered how many people are *really* upset about the deprecation of the
    'scanner and camera wizard'. To me it seems trivial...we're a spreadsheet
    program! But I guess 'you can please some of the people all of the time, all
    of the people some of the time but never.........'

    For example I am not sure the large grid is a good idea, but most would
    welcome it... you would think all, but no.

    Remember too that it is still a beta and with all the major changes, I
    suspect it will be at beta until the next version (XL13???), a little like
    XL97 and 2000, so keep hoping and lobbying <g>

  6. #6
    JLatham
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlinks Not Instant In 2007 ??

    Just listening to Mhz talk about it makes me think it's not going to be liked
    by more people than just him. How many executives do you know who want to be
    handed a worksheet with links they need to follow to review/work with it and
    have to old a button down for valuable seconds of their time?

    As someone who does a good bit of developing inside of Excel, I understand
    the developer frustration of trying to get inside of a cell with a link at
    times. But I've learned to live with that and could see it from the end user
    standpoint.

    At the very least this should probably be a toggle feature: delay on for
    developers, delay off for the real world. For those that click on links
    accidentally? Aim better next time?

  7. #7
    John

    Nick Hodge wrote:
    > Mhz
    >
    > I think this is by design as the tooltip in XL2007, say's 'Press, hold and
    > release to follow hyperlink'
    >
    > This is a change as I think it was frustratingly easy to follow a hyperlink
    > in Excel<12 when you only wanted to select the cell
    >
    > I can't find a setting to change it

    Great chnge... I would upgrade just for that.
    John

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor
    Love City, USA
    Actually John, I believe JLathon Nailed it on the head, You're going to have two sides on this issue, it should very well been Optional to keep both Parties Happy on this flaw.... Thanks for the input anyhow...

    Quote Originally Posted by John

  9. #9
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlinks Not Instant In 2007 ??

    Mhz

    One other thing I would add is, you cannot possibly add 'toggles' for
    everything. The old Tools>Options... dialogue was a nightmare, I'm not sure
    if Office Button>Excel Options is going to be any better.

    There are thousands of operations in Excel that have 'double uses', you
    simply cannot provide for all.

    MS work on millions of points of data to decide how the features are added
    or taken away. I grant you, it is millions of clicks from 'modest' users
    rather than power users and I think this is why also, this version is likely
    to be a little 'dumbed down' while the groups discover the data from this
    version...that's inevitable I think with such major changes. Consider it
    like a V1.0, (with obviously the learning's over many years) or like XL2000
    was to XL97.

    I would say if we don't see some customisation for the ribbon or better
    handling of current 'commandbars' or even a 'classic' view in the next
    version, I would be surprised

  10. #10
    Forum Contributor
    Love City, USA
    I agree with you Nick, but I have to say the change they made was a set back, due to the fact that the 2003 version at least granted both option of a rapid link click and the option to hold and edit the Cell, It couldn't get any better than that.. But who knows, maybe they'll modify it in the future..

    I still agree with JLatham, that the end user and programmer should have this option granted...

    Thanks for the reply..

  11. #11
    JLatham
    Guest

    Re: Hyperlinks Not Instant In 2007 ??

    I'm just going to reiterate that I've got users that are absolutely going to
    hate having to press, wait and go. I'm talking people in the 6-digit income
    brackets that don't like their time being wasted, and they're going to see it
    as a waste.

    And if this is a different functionality for links than in other office
    products like Word, PowerPoint or Access, then they are going to like it even
    less. This pushes the learning curve off onto the end user big time -
    "...been using Word all day and click in links is instant. But I think my
    Excel is broke because it keeps telling me I have to click and hold. How
    long? Fix this! I have better things to do! I buy a $2000 computer to get
    SPEED and the software is holding me back! Where can I buy a Sun
    Workstation..." I just feel the love being shared - and all heading toward
    my end of the hall.

    Thanks, Mhz, glad you understand the point I was trying to make. I'm on
    your side in this one! Oh, and as a professional software engineer (or
    whatever they call us programmers these days) for the past 26 years, I'm very
    used to having the brunt of the labor or special considerations like these
    being laid in my lap - so that I can deal with them as required to provide a
    product that my end users actually will use and think well of me because of
    it.

    I DON'T MIND having to sneak up on a cell with a hyperlink in it to do
    editing in it - especially when it means that my end users will get quick,
    responsive results when they use it. Part of the attraction to the entire
    Office Suite is that so many look-alike things also work-alike. Now all of a
    sudden links are going to work differently in Excel than in all of the other
    packages?

  12. #12
    John

    Mhz wrote:
    > I agree with you Nick, but I have to say the change they made was a set
    > back, due to the fact that the 2003 version at least granted both
    > option of a rapid link click and the option to hold and edit the Cell,
    > It couldn't get any better than that.. But who knows, maybe they'll
    > modify it in the future..
    >
    > I still agree with JLatham, that the end user and programmer should
    > have this option granted...
    >
    > Thanks for the reply..

    I could never get the hang of this in 2003. Agree it should be an option.
    John