RE: pasting data from a website changes text to date

  1. #1
    Vince
    Guest

    RE: pasting data from a website changes text to date

    stebro

    find "option to prevent Excel changing 1-2-3 to a date" and agree with the
    suggestion.

    --
    Vince

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Canada, Quebec
    Hi Vince

    Did you try?
    To stop Excel converting text to dates type in a single quote before the text
    as you enter it.

    example in cell a1 type '3-1 hit enter

    Thanks
    Denis

  3. #3
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Canada, Quebec
    Another solution:
    Format the cell(s) as Text prior to entering data into them and
    Excel will leave them alone.

    Thanks
    Denis

  4. #4
    sprior
    Guest

    RE: pasting data from a website changes text to date

    I had the same issue but sorted it today.
    rather than cut and paste the web data, I created a web query, and there is
    an option that works.

    from excel
    >data>import external data>new web query

    there is an button marked options in the top right of the dialogue window
    that provides an option to disable date recognition.
    The web query thing is good too.

    wahoo!

    S.