Calculating cells with text only

  1. #1

    Calculating cells with text only

    I have a spreadsheet with branches and survey answers to calculate. I want to only count the cells containing text in a certain range for each branch. The formula I'm trying to use is =counta(if(a2..k58="Port Malabar",j2..k58)). I keep getting a value error.

    I appreciate anyone's help with this.

  2. #2
    Franz Verga
    Guest

    Re: Calculating cells with text only

    Cissy wrote:
    > I have a spreadsheet with branches and survey answers to calculate. I
    > want to only count the cells containing text in a certain range for
    > each branch. The formula I'm trying to use is
    > =counta(if(a2..k58="Port Malabar",j2..k58)). I keep getting a value
    > error.
    >
    > I appreciate anyone's help with this.

    Hi Cissy,

    First of all I don't understand what you mean for:

    a2..k58

    if you mean the range from A2 to K58, it should be:

    A2:K58

    then you have to array enter your formula, i.e. press simultaneously Ctrl +
    Shift + Enter; so your formula should be:

    =counta(if(a2:k58="Port Malabar",j2:k58))

    array entered, as described above.

    Instead, you could use a COUNTIF formula like this:

    =COUNTIF(a2:k58,"Port Malabar")

    --
    Hope I helped you.

    Thanks in advance for your feedback.