calculate based on color

  1. #1
    MS-Off Ver

    calculate based on color

    Every time ya'll have helped I was working on something for the corporate office, now I've been transferred to the corporate office - not sure if that's good or bad...

    Routing and scheduling workbook with multiple tabs. We have three colors of rows to signify the status (open, closed, issue)

    I want to calculate the number of blue rows (issue) to the front (summary) tab. Is that possible, like a COUNTIF formula?? I could just add another regular formula and have numerical codes for the same thing, but there is aready enough business going on in there.

    If not possible, any ideas? The open/losed calculation is no big deal, but there are about 30 different subsets under "issue" and don't really want to do another giant validation...
    Better to be roughly right than exactly wrong, unless you are using Excel.

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: calculate based on color

    Hi redneck joe

    See
    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    in a similar vein is there a list somewhere of which numbers map to which colours as far as excel is concerned.

    i.e. if 3 = red background what is 1,2,4,etc...without me having to put them all in obviously.

    thanks in advance

  4. #4
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: calculate based on color

    See
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/colors.htm

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    MS-Off Ver
    Cool - one more question:
    Another COUNTIF ~ i have a column that contains date and time frame
    (07/06/2006 AM) and I want to COUNTIF the AM or PM part of that cell.

    Possible or only if I break that out?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron de Bruin

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    wonderful. thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron de Bruin

  7. #7

    Re: calculate based on color

    =sumproduct(--(right(a1:a10,2)="AM"))

    Adjust the ranges to match--but you can't use whole columns.

    =sumproduct() likes to work with numbers. The -- stuff changes trues and falses
    to 1's and 0's.

    Bob Phillips explains =sumproduct() in much more detail here:

    And J.E. McGimpsey has some notes at:
    http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html