How do I get my Validation Lists to keep their formatting?

  1. #1
    Katie
    Guest

    How do I get my Validation Lists to keep their formatting?

    I am trying to get the formatting from my List to remain when it is imported
    into the drop down list on my spreadsheet.... IE: I have a drop down list
    with "Y" for Yes and N for No. The Y is in BOLD Red and the N is in Bold
    Black but when I go to the sheet that has the validation drop down list
    inserted into it the Y and the N both show up only as black. I need the Y to
    show as BOLD Red so that we can track the "Y" easier. Can anyone help?

    Also, I have a name list with over a hundred names as a drop down list and
    it will not allow the user to freehand a name into the box if the name is
    missing from the validation list. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong
    there as well?

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: How do I get my Validation Lists to keep their formatting?

    You can't format the items in a data validation dropdown list. However,
    you could use conditional formatting to format the cell after an item
    has been selected.

    To allow any entry in the cell with the data validation dropdown:
    Choose Data>Validation
    On the Error Alert tab, remove the check mark from 'Show error alert
    after invalid data is entered'
    OR, from the Style dropdown, choose Warning or Information
    Click OK

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures

  3. #3
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Katie,

    Unfortunately, Data Validation does not retain the formatting of the cells as they appear in the list but you can still get the formatting you need using Conditional Formatting.

    Select the cell where your drop down list is say A1. Select Format>Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is option to Formula is and enter in =A1="Y". Click Format>Font tab. Change the font as desired. Click OK. Then Click on Add.

    For condition 2 follow the above steps but change the formula to =A1="N" and select the desired formatting. Click ok and ok again. Now if you Select Y or N it will format as you instructed in the conditional formatting.

    For the issue with the Names, when you set up the data validation, click on the Error tab and change the Style drop down from Stop to either Warning or Information. You can then input a message if you'd like but it is not required. This will allow users to input names that do not appear in your list but also alerts them to the fact that they are entering a value not in the list.

    HTH

    Steve

  4. #4
    Katie
    Guest

    Re: How do I get my Validation Lists to keep their formatting?

    SteveG,

    THANK YOU!!! That was EXACTLY what I was looking for!
    and thank you to Debra too for the assist as well.

    I hate writing code but this board makes it so much less frustrating!

    Katie

  5. #5
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Katie,

    You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

    Cheers,

    Steve