Repeat error trapping when file is not found.

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    Repeat error trapping when file is not found.

    The following VBA error traping code works great once. However, need additional VBA code to make it work repeatedly if the file specified is not found. For example entering 0128 for 0158 then 0185 for 0158 causes an File not Found Eorror #53.

    Sub Auto_open()

    Dim strClientNumber As String
    Dim dtFileDate As Date

    On Error GoTo ErrorTrap
    strClientNumber = Application.InputBox("Enter A/R Client Number (ex: 0158): ")
    If strClientNumber = "" Then GoTo Done
    If strClientNumber = False Then GoTo Done
    dtFileDate = Int(FileDateTime("C:\USR\MIKE\AT" & strClientNumber & ".MB"))

    ErrorTrap:
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    strClientNumber = _
    Application.InputBox("Your file does not exist!" _
    & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Enter A/R Client Number (ex: 0158): ")
    If strClientNumber = "" Then GoTo Done
    If strClientNumber = False Then GoTo Done
    dtFileDate = Int(FileDateTime("C:\USR\MIKE\AT" _
    & strClientNumber & ".MB"))
    End If

    'More code exists here to import the above file that is found

    End Sub

    Any & all help is very much appreciated. However, since I am still learning, please keep the VBA code simple. Thank you, mikeburg

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Repeat error trapping when file is not found.

    The reason that it works only once is that you never resume normal execution
    out of your error handler. As soon as an error is generated the code goes to
    the error handler and continues in the error handler (as there is no resume
    statement) until the end. Once in an error handler, you can not catch any
    more errors until you resume normal execution. What you really want to do is
    to avoid the error handler completely. By using the "Dir" function you can
    determine if the file exists without generating an error. If the file does
    not exist then prompt for a correct file name (done in a loop until you get a
    goood one of the user decides to cancel).
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    Thanks a million.

    I did as you suggested with Dir & it works great! mikeburg