Having trouble with number series

  1. #1
    Cuzman
    Guest

    Having trouble with number series

    I'm stuck on how to create a number series in Excel. For instance, I
    can put the following in these respective cells:

    A1 1
    A2 2
    A3 3

    ....and then I can fill the series down to A10000. However, I actually
    need the numbers to be in the middle of some text. ie.

    A1 abc00000000001abc
    A2 abc00000000002abc
    A3 abc00000000003abc

    ....so I can fill down to A10000000000. I can't seem to do this. Is
    there a way that this can be done?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor VBA Noob's Avatar
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    xl03 & xl 07(Jan 09)
    Posts
    11,988
    Have you tried having the Number in Col A and Text in Col B and then using Concatenate.

    E.g enter A1&B1 in C1

    VBA Noob

  3. #3
    excelent
    Guest

    RE: Having trouble with number series

    try put in A1 and copy down

    ="abc"&TEXT(ROW(),"00000000000")&"abc"

  4. #4
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: Having trouble with number series

    A klunky workaround:

    Use a helper column with the numbers filled down, then in the column you
    want to fill with:

    ="abc"&B1&"abc"

    then copy and Paste Special back into the same column and then finally
    delete the helper column

    Sandy

    [email protected]
    [email protected] with @tiscali.co.uk

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Having trouble with number series

    Cuzman

    The numbers must be entered as text in the column to begin with.

    In B1 enter '000001 and in B2 enter '000002

    Drag/copy down to A10000(not to A10000000)

    Then do the =A1&B1&C1

    Or as Sandy' s formula if you prefer.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  6. #6
    Cuzman

    excelent wrote:

    * try put in A1 and copy down

    ="abc"&TEXT(ROW(),"00000000000")&"abc" *

    Thanks to everyone who helped. The above suggestion worked perfectly.