Using a Macro to Reorder Data - tough one

  1. #1

    Question Using a Macro to Reorder Data - tough one

    Having a tough time with this one. I get data from an SQL query in one format, and I need the data sorted differently for use in excel. I end up taking the raw data and I manually reorder it to suit my needs. I have some VBA experience and can follow/modify code, I'm just not sure where to start on this one.

    Here's my question. I have the data in tab1 and I need it in the format that is shown on tab2. (See attachment)

    I've tried using a pivot table and that got me really close, but it was a little cumbersome. I'm thinking I should be able to read the data into an array and then loop through it to spit it out in the format I want it in, but I'm not sure where to start. I am not the end user, so I want the user to just be able to run the macro and not have to do any other manipulation (that's where the pivot table failed).

    Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    Don Wiss
    Guest

    Re: Using a Macro to Reorder Data - tough one

    Kesey <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Here's my question. I have the data in tab1 and I need it in the
    >format that is shown on tab2. (See attachment)

    I'm reading this on Usenet, and this being a text only newsgroup all
    attachments are striped out of the news feed.

    >|Filename: rawdata.zip |
    >|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=5036 |

    I tried that link and I get "Invalid Attachment specified." on the web page
    that comes up.

    If you have something to show us, I think best to use Alt-Print Screen and
    paste it into Microsoft Paint, save as a jpg, and then toss up on the web
    site your ISP gave you. Or some other site.

  3. #3
    Posted the example file here for ppl on usenet:
    http://www.nodrm.com/rawdata.zip

  4. #4
    Don Wiss

    On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:07:18 -0400, Kesey <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Posted the example file here for ppl on usenet:
    >http://www.nodrm.com/rawdata.zip

    Here's a real quick macro. It's late. I'm sure if I thought about it I
    could simplify it some. Don.

    Sub ReArrange()

    Dim LastOutRow As Integer, SourceRow As Integer, i As Integer
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False

    LastOutRow = 2
    MoveOne 2, LastOutRow

    For SourceRow = 3 To Sheets("tab1").Range("A50000").End(xlUp).Row
    For i = 2 To LastOutRow
    If Sheets("tab3").Cells(i, 1).Value = Sheets("tab1").Cells(SourceRow, 5).Value And Sheets("tab3").Cells(i, 2).Value = Sheets("tab1").Cells(SourceRow, 4).Value Then
    MoveOne SourceRow, i
    GoTo NextRow
    End If
    Next i
    LastOutRow = LastOutRow + 1
    MoveOne SourceRow, LastOutRow
    NextRow:
    Next SourceRow

    End Sub

    Sub MoveOne(SourceRow As Integer, OutRow As Integer)
    Dim C As Integer
    Sheets("tab3").Cells(OutRow, 1).Value = Sheets("tab1").Cells(SourceRow, 5).Value
    Sheets("tab3").Cells(OutRow, 2).Value = Sheets("tab1").Cells(SourceRow, 4).Value
    C = 2 + Month(Sheets("tab1").Cells(SourceRow, 2).Value)
    Sheets("tab3").Cells(OutRow, C).Value = Sheets("tab3").Cells(OutRow, C).Value + Sheets("tab1").Cells(SourceRow, 1).Value
    End Sub

  5. #5
    Don - ran the macro and with the given data it works great. Years are ascending instead of descending, but nothing a simple sort cannot fix.

    I'm going to have to read through the code now and see how this thing works. Thanks for your time!

  6. #6
    NickHK
    Guest

    Re: Using a Macro to Reorder Data - tough one

    Kesey,
    I'm no expert at pivot tables, but I managed to get the desired results *
    quickly.
    It probably helps to format the startDate column as data (mmmm) to get month
    names.
    Then follow the pivot table wizard.

    NickHK
    * I assume there are a couple of errors in you desired results for 2006/45.
    Otherwise I do not understand your requirements.

    "Kesey" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...