listing unmatched items!

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    listing unmatched items!

    hi!

    i am having the following data in A1:B22

    1000 DR
    1000 CR
    1500 DR
    1000 DR
    2000 DR
    1000 DR
    1500 CR
    2000 CR
    1000 DR
    1000 CR
    1000 DR
    2000 CR
    2000 DR
    1500 CR
    1000 CR
    3000 DR
    1000 CR
    4000 DR
    3000 CR
    2000 DR
    2000 CR
    1500 DR

    here in the list

    1000 DR - 5 rec
    1000 CR - 4 rec

    1500 DR - 2 rec
    1500 CR - 2 rec

    2000 DR - 2 rec
    2000 CR - 3 rec

    3000 DR - 2 rec
    3000 CR - 1 rec

    4000 DR - 1 rec
    4000 CR - nil

    what i want is to shortlist the records

    1000 DR
    2000 CR
    3000 DR
    4000 DR

    using worksheet function in COL C
    to mark some flag like
    "matched", "unmatched"

    hopes that explained the things better!!

    -via135

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: listing unmatched items!

    Here's one formulas play which will offset/cancel the DR figures against
    similar CR figures in cols A and B, and list the outstanding results, if any
    remain after the cancellations, in a col F (this is what I gather you're
    really trying to do here)

    Assuming source data within cols A and B,
    within row1 to say, a max expected row100

    In C1:
    =IF(B1="","",IF(B1="DR",-A1,A1))

    In D1:
    =IF(C1="","",COUNTIF($C$1:C1,C1))

    In E1, array-entered (press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER):
    =IF(D1="","",IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(-C1&"_"&D1,$C$1:$C$100&"_"&$D$1:$D$100,0)),"",ROW()))

    In F1:
    =IF(ROW(A1)>COUNT(E:E),"",INDEX(C:C,MATCH(SMALL(E:E,ROW(A1)),E:E,0)))

    Select C1:F1, copy down to F100

    Col F will list the figures from col C which have no match, if any (-ve figs
    simply means DR, +ve figs means CR). Results will be neatly bunched at the
    top.

    Col C's formulas is simply to change the DR figures in col A to -ve, while
    CR figures will remain as they are.

    Based on your sample data within A1:B22, we'd get in listed in col F:
    -1000
    -4000

    Adapt the range in E1's array formula
    to suit the actual extent of your data before copying down
    --
    Max
    Singapore

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: listing unmatched items!

    Just to clarify that for the sample data posted in A1:B22,
    believe your "summary" contains 2 errors

    > > 2000 CR - 3 rec
    > >
    > > 3000 DR - 2 rec
    > > 3000 CR - 1 rec

    should have read as:

    2000 DR - 3 rec
    2000 CR - 3 rec

    3000 DR - 1 rec
    3000 CR - 1 rec

    Think the outstanding amounts, after cancellations,
    returned by the formulas in col F are correct, viz.: -1000, -4000

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor

    listing unmatched items!

    hi!

    yes..your method gives me the exact results i want!!
    thks!!

    i've noticed the error only after reading your reply..!!
    sorry..!! should be due to ***** eye counting!!

    BTW is there any way to match the same items
    but in two columns,
    say all DR items in COL A
    and all CR items in COL B

    -via135

    Quote Originally Posted by Max

  5. #5
    Max
    Guest

    Re: listing unmatched items!

    "via135" wrote:
    > yes .. your method gives me the exact results i want!! thks!!

    Glad to hear that ..

    Extending the earlier set-up, this may suffice to provide the additional
    summary presentations on the unreconciled amounts (whether DR or CR) that's
    desired

    Ref the sample construct available at:
    http://www.savefile.com/files/4182256
    Auto-reconciling DR n CR amounts in a col.xls

    In sheet: X (earlier set-up, extended),

    In H1:
    =IF(ROW(A1)>COUNT($E:$E),"",INDEX(E:E,MATCH(SMALL($E:$E,ROW(A1)),$E:$E,0)))

    In I1, copied to J1:
    =IF(ROW(A1)>COUNT($E:$E),"",INDEX(A:A,MATCH(SMALL($E:$E,ROW(A1)),$E:$E,0)))

    Select H1:J1, fill down to J100
    (cover the same max extent that data is expected in cols A and B)

    Cols I & J will return the unreconciled amounts (if any) and whether its a
    DR or a CR, while col H returns the corresponding row numbers for these
    (locations within the source data in cols A and B).

    And as added visuals on the locations of the unreconciled amounts (say,
    let's highlight unreconciled DR amts in red, CR amts in d.green) the source
    data range within A1:B100 can be conditionally formatted using the formulas:

    (Select A1:B100, then apply the CF settings below)

    Condition 1
    =AND($C1<0,$E1<>"")
    Format: Red fill & white font/bolded

    Condition 2:
    =AND($C1>0,$E1<>"")
    Format: Dark green fill & white font/bolded

    If all is cool, ie there's no unreconciled amounts,
    then there'll be no CF format triggered

    .... and in sheet: Y,

    re your query:
    > ... BTW is there any way to match the same items
    > but in two columns,
    > say all DR items in COL A
    > and all CR items in COL B

    Assume source data in row 2 up to row 30

    In C2, copied down to C30:
    =IF(COUNTBLANK(A2:B2)=2,"",SUM($B$2:B2)-SUM($A$2:A2))

    Col C will return a cumulative "nett" reconciliation of the DR and CR
    amounts in cols A and B (-ve figs = nett DR, +ve figs = nett CR)

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor

    listing unmatched items!

    thks Max