Return array from worksheet function

  1. #1
    Steve Lloyd
    Guest

    Return array from worksheet function

    Hi there,

    I am trying to return an array of dates and prices from a worksheet function
    and display them starting at the selected item.

    This is the function I am using to test. I've seen this done by people such
    as Bloomberg but cannot work how to do it at all. Any help would be much
    appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Public Function ReturnArray() As Variant

    Dim tempArray() As String
    ReDim tempArray(1, 1)

    tempArray(0, 1) = "Price 1"
    tempArray(0, 1) = "17/07/2006"
    tempArray(1, 0) = "Price 2"
    tempArray(1, 1) = "14/07/2006"

    ReturnArray = tempArray

    End Function

  2. #2
    Chris Marlow
    Guest

    RE: Return array from worksheet function

    Steve,

    Looks Ok to me. Are you using CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER to commit?

    Additionally maybe you want;

    tempArray(0, 0) = "Price 1"

    - but I suspect that is just a typo.

    Regards,

    Chris.

    --
    Chris Marlow
    MCSD.NET, Microsoft Office XP Master

  3. #3
    Steve Lloyd
    Guest

    Re: Return array from worksheet function

    Hi Chris,

    Thanks very much for your response.

    I'm really struggling here, I enter the function call in a cell and then
    press Ctrl-Shft-Ent, this enters the value in the selected cell but does not
    update the additional cells that are part of the array, I presume I am
    missing something here, could you help please.

    In addition, I want to add the formula from a command button/combo box on a
    toolbar as I suspect the users will not be able to understand the
    Crtl-Shft-Entr thing (they are traders!) Can you suggest a way of doing
    this?

    Thanks again,

    Steve

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Forum Guru
    North America
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007
    Posts
    15,907
    Are you entering the function in only one cell, or are you selecting a 2x2 range before entering the function? As with Excel's built in functions that return an array, you have to select the entire output range when entering the function to get the entire output array returned.

  5. #5
    Steve Lloyd
    Guest

    Re: Return array from worksheet function

    OK, i am there, fantastic, thankyou...

    "MrShorty" <[email protected]> wrote in