Rounding and Number Formatting

  1. #1
    Pflugs
    Guest

    Rounding and Number Formatting

    I am trying to digitize an ANSI standard that calls for specific rounding and
    significant figures rules. For example, variable are specified as "7 sig
    figs, simply rounded" or "4 places to right of decimal if pitch is greater
    than 40, else 3 places."

    I can work through the rounding, truncating, etc, but is there a way to
    display these significant digits within a column using one formula? So far,
    I've tried something like
    "=IF(A12/$B$1<10,ROUND(A12/$B$1,6),ROUND(A12/$B$1,5))" but that won't account
    for displaying. I tried conditional formatting, but that won't allow number
    formats.

    I want everything to be adaptable in case the main variables change (so I
    can use a template sheet and copy them programmatically). Anyone have any
    ideas?

    Thanks,

    Pflugs

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor

    Rounding

    Have you tried Tools, Options, Caculations, and ticked Precision as Displayed?
    Best regards,

    Ray

  3. #3
    Pflugs
    Guest

    Re: Rounding and Number Formatting

    No, I have not. I tried it now, and that will work for some instances.
    However, that is not a sheet-specific setting, correct? If that's the case,
    I don't want that to apply to all my sheets.

    For now, I think I will stick to a complicated system of "round" and
    "fixed". Thanks for the help.

    Pflugs