Determing Value From Date

  1. #1

    Determing Value From Date

    Hi

    Is it possible to look up a value to apply in a formula based on a date entered in a spreadsheet.

    For example I enter a date in a cell A2 of 06/05/2006 I want this to be used as a lookup of factors that are to be applied for each financial year. In the case above this would be 2006 and a factor of 1.5

    I have factors for 5 years from 2006 -2011 stored in another range of spreadsheet.

    Obviously I can do this with a lookup by entering every date and allocating the appropriate factor - but is there a cleaner way of doing this.

    Thanks for any input

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Pakistan
    Posts
    1,791

    Lightbulb

    you should put sample data for better understanding of your requirement.

  3. #3
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Determing Value From Date

    Either

    =LOOKUP(YEAR(A1),{2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011},{1.5,2,2.5,3,3.5,4})

    OR

    2006 1.50
    2007 2.00
    2008 2.50
    2009 3.00
    2010 3.50
    2011 4.00

    =VLOOKUP(YEAR(A1),$C:$D,2,FALSE)

    I prefer the latter as you can change the data without having to change the
    formula.

    HTH

  4. #4

    Financial Years

    Thanks for that - almost there.

    However I need the look up to identify financial years not calendar years.

    Any suggestions ?

    Many thanks for all your help

  5. #5

    Re: Determing Value From Date

    Hello Ian,

    take
    =VLOOKUP(YEAR(A1)-(A1<DATE(YEAR(A1),4,1)),$C$1:$D$6,2,FALSE)

    C1:D6:
    2006 1.5
    2007 2
    2008 2.5
    2009 3
    2010 3.5
    2011 4

    Fiscal year 2006 is 1-Apr-2006 until 31-Mar-2007 here, right?

    HTH,
    Bernd