Workday calculation - not working

  1. #1
    LOK
    Guest

    Workday calculation - not working

    Hi,

    I'm trying to make a time and events schedule to track a project's progress.
    basically in A1 will be the start date, B1 will be the end date, and I want
    to know the number of workdays, not including weekends it will take to
    complete this part of the project in C1. I've entered the =WORKDAYS(A1,B1)
    formula and I keep getting either the #VALUE? or #NAME? response. I've added
    the Analysis ToolPak ADD-IN so I don't understand why this isn't working -
    HELP!
    --
    thanks, L

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Workday calculation - not working

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:23:01 -0700, LOK <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm trying to make a time and events schedule to track a project's progress.
    >basically in A1 will be the start date, B1 will be the end date, and I want
    >to know the number of workdays, not including weekends it will take to
    >complete this part of the project in C1. I've entered the =WORKDAYS(A1,B1)
    >formula and I keep getting either the #VALUE? or #NAME? response. I've added
    >the Analysis ToolPak ADD-IN so I don't understand why this isn't working -
    >HELP!

    I'm guessing, since you didn't clarify, that you got the #NAME? result before
    and the #VALUE? result after you added the ATP.

    You are probably getting bad results because you are using the wrong function,
    or because your date is really TEXT and not a true date.

    To determine the number of days between start date and end date, you should be
    using the NETWORKDAYS function. See HELP for the difference between these two
    functions.

    If you get the #VALUE error, then probably your date is TEXT and not an Excel
    Date. To tell if it is TEXT, try formatting A1 or B1 as General. If the
    appearance remains that of a date, and does not change to some five digit
    number, then your value is text.

    --ron

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Workday calculation - not working

    No such function as WORKDAYS.....WORKDAY........yes........ but not what you
    need here.

    You want NETWORKDAYS function.

    =NETWORKDAYS(A1,B1)

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor VBA Noob's Avatar
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    xl03 & xl 07(Jan 09)
    Posts
    11,988
    Some VBA code which creates a User defined Function.

    Just code Code

    Press Alt + F11

    Insert Module

    Paste Code

    Close VBA Editor

    Insert > Function

    User Defined and select cells

    http://www22.brinkster.com/accessory/modules/003.shtml

    VBA Noob

  5. #5
    LOK
    Guest

    Re: Workday calculation - not working

    I did check the formating of the cells and they were dates (changed to a 5
    digit number when I change to general). So, I'm unsure of what my next steps
    are. the ATP is activated and this is the function I want - the NETWORKDAYS
    (I tried both that and WORDAY) and yet neither works....ideas?
    --
    thanks, L

  6. #6
    Ron Rosenfeld

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 13:33:02 -0700, LOK <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I did check the formating of the cells and they were dates (changed to a 5
    >digit number when I change to general). So, I'm unsure of what my next steps
    >are. the ATP is activated and this is the function I want - the NETWORKDAYS
    >(I tried both that and WORDAY) and yet neither works....ideas?

    What does "neither works" mean? Do you get an error message? If so, what
    message?

    Post copies of your inputs, formula, actual output, desired output.

    Do copy/paste in order to avoid typos.

    --ron