Row Shading

  1. #1
    kthornton
    Guest

    Row Shading

    I am tracking RMA's. I have a spreadsheet wher I enter customers
    name,product being returned, opened, closed, date, etc.
    When I mark an "x" in the cell marked open I want the entire row to shade in
    one color. When I mark "x" in the cell marked closed I want the row to
    change color.
    How do I accomplish this?

  2. #2
    Alan
    Guest

    Re: Row Shading

    Have a look at Conditional Formatting in Help,
    Regards,
    Alan.
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    conditional formatting.

    select the rows you're interested in. for this option i'm going to do it on row 1

    the active cell is in box A1

    format->conditional formatting

    Change the first dropdown to be a formula
    =$a1="X"
    then choose format and choose a pattern

    add a new rule
    make it a formula once more
    =$B1="X"
    then choose format and choose a pattern again

    press ok

    copy the whole row. highlight the rows you want to apply this formatting to and choose "paste special->formats"

    This assumes that the flags for open and closed appear in cells A1 and B1

    you can do this conditional formatting for the entire region at once but you hvae to keep track of where your active cell is. If you're unfamiliar with conditional formatting it's often easiest to get it working for one row then copy that formatting to the whole range

  4. #4
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Row Shading