Complex Date Formula

  1. #1

    Question Complex Date Formula

    Working on a sheet that I need date calculations formulas.

    1.) Need it to calculate the difference between two dates.
    (Pretty much have this one nailed)

    2.) Once the calculation is made I need for it to give me a value back based
    on the difference between the two dates.

    Ex. Vacation accrues over time, let's say every six months you get six vacation days. I want to put a hiring date into one cell (6/1/05) and then have the calculation refer back to that cell to get the result. So based on the hire date (6/1/05) and the current date (7/18/06) I would get a result of
    12 vacation days.

    3.) I also need for thier to be a ceiling or a limit you could call it. So that it cannot go over maybe fifteen days.

    I am currently working on it now but just thought I would post it and see what other options are out there. Thanks in advance guys and gals.

  2. #2
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Complex Date Formula

    Why wouldn't it be 13 days?

    6/1/05 to 7/18/06 is 13 months plus!

    Or, are you accruing vacation time in 6 day (month) increments?

    If so, then where is the break point to arrive at your max of 15 days?

    Need some more info.

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Complex Date Formula

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:32:42 -0400, kermitforney
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Working on a sheet that I need date calculations formulas.
    >
    >1.) Need it to calculate the difference between two dates.
    >(Pretty much have this one nailed)
    >
    >2.) Once the calculation is made I need for it to give me a value back
    >based
    >on the difference between the two dates.
    >
    >Ex. Vacation accrues over time, let's say every six months you get six
    >vacation days. I want to put a hiring date into one cell (6/1/05) and
    >then have the calculation refer back to that cell to get the result. So
    >based on the hire date (6/1/05) and the current date (7/18/06) I would
    >get a result of
    >12 vacation days.
    >
    >3.) I also need for thier to be a ceiling or a limit you could call it.
    >So that it cannot go over maybe fifteen days.
    >
    >I am currently working on it now but just thought I would post it and
    >see what other options are out there. Thanks in advance guys and gals.

    =MIN(15,INT(DATEDIF(HireDate,CurrentDate,"m")/6)*6)

    --ron