How do I link 4 columns to each other

  1. #1
    B's Space
    Guest

    How do I link 4 columns to each other

    I want to create multiple cells within a cell. Example,
    Column 1: Name and Surname , Column 2: Personal Details, Colums 3:
    Training Results, Column 4, Test Results
    When I clink on Column 1 and select teh name, I automatically want Column
    2,3 & 4 to pop up and show me all relevant details .

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: How do I link 4 columns to each other

    It's not clear to me how you want this to work. Is column 1 cell a Data
    Validation, as you say "Click" and select the name and where are the other
    details; what you mean by "pop up".

    Sorry to be so dim ... but perhaps an sample of data might clarify it (at
    least for me!)

  3. #3
    B''s Space
    Guest

    RE: How do I link 4 columns to each other

    Hi Toppers

    Oops, yes I think i did not make it clear enough. Sorry 'bout that. I am
    currently sitting with a worksheet of about 30 columns. The problem is, all
    of these columns are sort of linked to each other. Meaning, 8 columns have
    Personal Details Split up, whereas, if I can put it all into one column and
    have sort of a heading and a sub-heading. Hmmmmm... I am not sure if you
    would understand what I want. I know what I want but I am finding it
    difficult to explain in Words.
    Trying again!
    Column 1 should have Name and Surname
    Column 2 Personal Details (Age, Address, ID Nr, Gender, Race, etc)
    Column 3 Training (X, Y, Z Results)
    Column 4 Test (1,2,3,4,)

    If I example select the name Jenny Jacobs in column 1, then column 2,3 & 4
    must automatically reflect all details linked to Jenny.
    Hope this makes sense?
    I am trying a PIVOT and hope there is an easir option. Is there?????

    Thanks
    B's Space

  4. #4

    Linking Cells

    Hi mate,

    Sorry to jump on your thread but I am after the same thing.
    Basically I run a Fantasy football league and have a spreadsheet for people to choose there teams.
    When they select a player from a list in column A (player name) I would like their club and value to appear in columns B & C without them having to select them separately

    Example:
    Cech - Chelsea - 4.8 (when they select Cech, Chelsea & 4.8 appear in cells B & C)

    Thanks to anyone that can help.

  5. #5
    B''s Space
    Guest

    Re: How do I link 4 columns to each other

    Hi hardy

    Yes, that is exactly what I want... Hope someone out there can come to our
    rescue.
    Thanks for making it clearer.

    B's Space

  6. #6
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: How do I link 4 columns to each other

    I will point you to a valuable source of assistance on the VLOOKUP function and
    examples of its use.

    Debra Dalgleish has instructions, examples and downloadable workbook.

    http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

    You may also want to explore the use of Data Validation drop-down list to pick
    your item from.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP