how to open an excel document saved in a temporay file

  1. #1
    Troubled Ann
    Guest

    how to open an excel document saved in a temporay file

    I opened an excel document sent as email attachment. I did not save it to
    disk. I worked on the document while open as an attachment and saved it.
    When I went back to the e-mail and opened the atttachment my changes were not
    there. I have found several excel document in a temporary file but cannot
    open them. The text import wizard says its delimited and it looks like it is
    encrypted. Were is my saved Excel attachment and how do I open it. I'm
    new to Exel and I promise I will always save to disk in the future.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    what email client were you using to open it? different email clients save "launched" documents to different places

    excel lists your X last files opened (X depends on your settings)

    open your file menu within excel and see if you can see your file there.

    if you know what you saved the file as do a windows search.

  3. #3
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: how to open an excel document saved in a temporay file

    As long as your promise to never do it again, use windows find to search the
    HD for the filename.xls

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Troubled Ann

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubled Ann
    > Quest DSL with MSN Premium

    hotmail/msn is blocked at work so I can't check it.

    it probably uses your default temporary directory. To find out what your default temp directory is go start->run->cmd <enter>
    then in the window that pops up type "echo %temp%" <enter>
    have a look in the directory it gives you

    the windows search didn't work for you?

  6. #6
    Troubled Ann
    Guest

    Re: how to open an excel document saved in a temporay file

    I found my temporary directory but as in my original help request, it won't
    let me open them Could they be zipped?