counting not blank / null cells

  1. #1
    rc51wv
    Guest

    counting not blank / null cells

    I need to setup an equation or macro that will take all the cells (a2:a60000)
    that are not null and add them together. How is this accomplished?

    -tia

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Just use SUM. It will add up all numeric cells...

    =SUM(A2:A60000)

    The only thing is that it won't work if you have a circular reference stuck in there somewhere
    Google is your best friend!

  3. #3
    rc51wv
    Guest

    Re: counting not blank / null cells

    Sorry, I was a little unclear. I need to take all the cells that are not null
    and add the number of non null cells together, not the number of all the
    numbers/items in the cell. The cells are a list of film rolls and some rolls
    have non numeric characters in them.

    Currently I have 673 cells that have information in them letting me know I
    have 673 rolls. What is the equation of macro that is used to add up all of
    these non null cells in column A that will let me know the total number of
    rolls I have at a glance.

    -tia

  4. #4
    GregR
    Guest

    Re: counting not blank / null cells

    Tia, try subtotal(3,A1:A6000)

    Greg

  5. #5
    N10
    Guest

    Re: counting not blank / null cells

    Hope this helps

    Sub Film_rolls()
    Dim task As Range
    Dim rolls As Integer
    Set task = Range("a1:a60000")
    For Each cell In task
    If cell.Value <> "" Then rolls = rolls + 1
    Next
    MsgBox " I HAVE " & rolls & " Rolls of film"
    End Sub

    Best N10

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    rc51wv
    Guest

    Re: counting not blank / null cells

    that worked. and it's not Tia, it's the acronym for thanks in advance

    -Will

  7. #7
    GregR
    Guest

    Re: counting not blank / null cells

    Will, right answer wrong name, sorry. TIA

    Greg