Problem with csv file

  1. #1

    Problem with csv file

    I have a mailing list that I imported from Paypal into Excel. I'm going to be importing the email addresses into MailDrop to send out mass emails to my customers.

    What I have is a csv file with a long column of about 3000 cells of emails. I need everyone of these emails to have two commas in front of it for it to import into MailDrop, merely having it as a csv file is not working, it has to have the actual commas in front of each address. I need to find out, in the most dumbed-down terms possible, how to add these commas without manually going into each cell and doing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using a Mac as well.

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Problem with csv file

    Assuming email addresses in Column A...........

    In B1 enter =",," & A1

    Double-click on B1 fill handle to copy down.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  3. #3
    That worked great, but I can't have 2 columns visible in the file. How do I get rid of the original column with the information still intact? The program that I'm importing it into won't merge those 2 columns together and it's not importing correctly.

    Thanks for your help.

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Problem with csv file

    Copy the new column and in place, Edit>Paste Special>Values>OK>Esc

    Now delete the original column.

    Gord

    On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 18:12:06 -0400, herbivore
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >That worked great, but I can't have 2 columns visible in the file. How
    >do I get rid of the original column with the information still intact?
    >The program that I'm importing it into won't merge those 2 columns
    >together and it's not importing correctly.
    >
    >Thanks for your help.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP