Round one cell depending on value of another

  1. #1
    SueJB
    Guest

    Round one cell depending on value of another

    Hi all

    I'm trying to calculate the number of resource days needed for a variety of
    events which are either 0.5, 1 or 2 days long. The event length is in
    Column J.

    The events are each for 8 people, so I can calculate the approximate number
    of events by dividing the audience by 8 and multiplying by the event length.
    This is in column M of my spreadsheet.

    However, I need to round that up because an event can only be a set length
    (0.5, 1 or 2). I want to put that value in column N.

    Is there a formula (using MROUND perhaps?) that will calculate the value in
    N depending on the value in J and M?

    I tried =MROUND(M1, J1) but got #NAME?

    Can anyone suggest a fix please?

    Thanks
    SueJB

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    1,500
    =ceiling(m1*j1,1)

    regards

    Dav

  3. #3
    SueJB
    Guest

    RE: Round one cell depending on value of another

    Thanks Dav, I wasn't aware of the CEILING function

    Best wishes
    Sue

  4. #4
    David Biddulph
    Guest

    Re: Round one cell depending on value of another

    "SueJB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all
    >
    > I'm trying to calculate the number of resource days needed for a variety
    > of
    > events which are either 0.5, 1 or 2 days long. The event length is in
    > Column J.
    >
    > The events are each for 8 people, so I can calculate the approximate
    > number
    > of events by dividing the audience by 8 and multiplying by the event
    > length.
    > This is in column M of my spreadsheet.
    >
    > However, I need to round that up because an event can only be a set length
    > (0.5, 1 or 2). I want to put that value in column N.
    >
    > Is there a formula (using MROUND perhaps?) that will calculate the value
    > in
    > N depending on the value in J and M?
    >
    > I tried =MROUND(M1, J1) but got #NAME?
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a fix please?

    Yes, I would suggest the use of Excel's help on the MROUND function:

    "...
    If this function is not available, and returns the #NAME? error, install and
    load the Analysis ToolPak add-in.

    How? ..."
    --
    David Biddulph