Show number in thouands using Formats

  1. #1
    Hari
    Guest

    Show number in thouands using Formats

    HI,

    If I have a series of numbers in Cell A1: A10 like 156789 etc

    I want to be able to do 2 kinds of operations:-

    a) How to set the format, so that number gets displayed as 156.789 or
    let' say 157 . I have seen folks using custom formats but not sure how
    to set it up in this case.

    b) How to set the format in such a way that we may also be see "157
    Thousand" for above case. Is it possible using custom formats. (I will
    like to do the same thing for 1234567 as "1.2 Million" and so on)

    Please guide me.

    Regards,
    HP
    India

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor

    Format

    This isn't a formatting problem. The data should be divided by 1000, THEN you deal with the presentation (such as rounding)!
    Best regards,

    Ray

  3. #3
    Leo Heuser
    Guest

    Re: Show number in thouands using Formats

    "Hari" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > HI,
    >
    > If I have a series of numbers in Cell A1: A10 like 156789 etc
    >
    > I want to be able to do 2 kinds of operations:-
    >
    > a) How to set the format, so that number gets displayed as 156.789 or
    > let' say 157 . I have seen folks using custom formats but not sure how
    > to set it up in this case.
    >
    > b) How to set the format in such a way that we may also be see "157
    > Thousand" for above case. Is it possible using custom formats. (I will
    > like to do the same thing for 1234567 as "1.2 Million" and so on)
    >
    > Please guide me.
    >
    > Regards,
    > HP
    > India

    Hi HP

    Apparently you have "." as a thousand separator.
    To format as 156.789 use the userdefined format #.#

    To format as thousands add a point to the right of the format
    #.#. or #.#. "Thousand"

    to format as millions add 2 points
    #.#.. or #.#.. "Million"

    #.#... or #.#... "Billion"

    etc. Add one point for each "thousand group"

    --
    Best regards
    Leo Heuser

    Followup to newsgroup only please.

  4. #4
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Show number in thouands using Formats

    This *can* be accomplished with custom formatting:

    [<=999999]#.#," Thousand";[>999999]#.#,," Million";General

    RD
    -------------------
    -------------------

    "raypayette" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

    This isn't a formatting problem. The data should be divided by 1000,
    THEN you deal with the presentation (such as rounding)!

    --
    raypayette

    raypayette's Profile:
    View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=563634

  5. #5
    Hari
    Guest

    Re: Show number in thouands using Formats

    Leo,

    Thanx a lot. It works

    I just wanted to know as to whether it is also possible to express in
    "Hundreds" etc.

    Regards,
    HP
    India

  6. #6
    Hari
    Guest

    Re: Show number in thouands using Formats

    RagDyer,

    Thanks for conditional number formatting. Its a nice tool to have.

    Regards,
    HP
    India

  7. #7
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Show number in thouands using Formats

    You're very welcome.

    RD
    -------------------
    -------------------

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Leo Heuser
    Guest

    Re: Show number in thouands using Formats

    "Hari" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
    news:[email protected]...
    > Leo,
    >
    > Thanx a lot. It works
    >
    > I just wanted to know as to whether it is also possible to express in
    > "Hundreds" etc.
    >
    > Regards,
    > HP
    > India

    Hari

    You're welcome and thanks for the feedback :-)

    Unfortunately its not possible to express in "Hundreds" etc.
    with formatting.

    Regards
    Leo Heuser