how can I allow users to open groups in a protected worksheet?

  1. #1
    VictoriaB
    Guest

    how can I allow users to open groups in a protected worksheet?

    I am trying to protect a worksheet which has a number of groups. When I
    protect the worksheet in order to lock certain cells the users are unable to
    open groups. Is there a way of achieving this?

    Many thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor

    Group access

    You could use Information Rights Management by clicking File, Permission, Restrict Permission as...
    This requires a server that Microsoft provides for the time being.
    Best regards,

    Ray

  3. #3
    Gizmo63
    Guest

    RE: how can I allow users to open groups in a protected worksheet?

    Hi Victoria,
    They won't be able to use groups when using regular protection. There is a
    way around it by using some VBA that is executed when the workbook is opened.

    In the VBA environment you need to select the Excel Object called 'This
    Workbook' and then enter code like this:

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()

    Worksheets("Total").Select
    ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="[your password - omit if no PW]"
    With Worksheets(ActiveSheet.Name)
    .Protect Password:="[your pword or null]", userinterfaceonly:=True
    .EnableOutlining = True
    End With

    Worksheets("First").Select
    ActiveSheet.Next.Select
    Do Until ActiveSheet.Name = "Last"
    ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="[your password - omit if no PW]"
    With Worksheets(ActiveSheet.Name)
    .Protect Password:="[your pword or null]", userinterfaceonly:=True
    .EnableOutlining = True
    End With
    ActiveSheet.Next.Select
    Loop

    Worksheets("Functions").Select
    End Sub

    Essentially this code is executed when the workbook is opened then does 3
    things
    1. Selects the 'Total' sheet, unprotects it and then reprotects but enables
    'outlining'
    2. It then cycles through all sheets between 'First' and 'Last' repeating pt
    1 on each sheet.
    3. It returns the user to a predefined start sheet in the workbook:
    'Functions'

    This only takes a couple of seconds in a workbook with 15 sheets so is not
    overly intrusive.

    HTH Giz