vlookup for exchange rate

  1. #1
    Gábor
    Guest

    vlookup for exchange rate

    hi,

    i have a simple table: in the first column are the dates, in the second are
    the exchange rates.
    i would like to find the exchange rates of the last day of the months.
    the problem is that rates are published only on business days, so for
    example in april there is nothing for 30th of april. in this case i should
    use the last business day's rate before 30th (28th of April).
    could anybody some idea how could i express this in vlookup form? i tried to
    use "if" formula, but i couldn't refer to result "#N/A"

    thx in advance

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    alright, i had to use an add-in because I used the formula EOMONTH (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...090761033.aspx)

    it's in the analysis toolpack

    I'll just lay out what I did
    In column A I had an incrementing date range. I put from today's date till the 28th and pretended that was the last business day of this month
    In column B I had an exchange rate
    in cell C1 I put in a date. I just put it as today so 7/21/2006
    in cell d1 I put in the vlookup
    =VLOOKUP(EOMONTH(C1,0),A1:B23,2,TRUE)
    This will return the exchange rate beside 7/28/2006.

    So in column C you could put a value for each month you're interested in and change the formatting to custom MMM-YYYY or something like that.

    Hope that helps,
    Mark

  3. #3
    Fred Smith
    Guest

    Re: vlookup for exchange rate

    All you need to do is use True as the last parameter of Vlookup. When it doesn't
    find an entry for the end of the month, it will use the last one available.

    Fred

    news:[email protected]...