Putting In Coma's Need Major Help

  1. #1

    Putting In Coma's Need Major Help

    would help if i didnt spell comma as coma

    Hey Guys

    Its Sunday 7:44 am est and i have a forum i need to finish today but am a total Newb at Excel. This will be an easy question for all of you i am sure

    columm A on my sheet has names in it that goes about 57 lines deep. Is there a way to highlight the columm and put a comma to seperate it from columm b with just one click of a button instead of going person by person and doing it?
    Last edited by ninjashadow80; 07-23-2006 at 08:15 AM.

  2. #2
    please help me this has to be a easy question for most of you

  3. #3
    Rich
    Guest

    Re: Putting In Coma's Need Major Help

    am not to sure what you asking us to advise you on

    are you on about joining col a & b with a colum seperator ?

  4. #4
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,486
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjashadow80
    would help if i didnt spell comma as coma

    columm A on my sheet has names in it that goes about 57 lines deep. Is there a way to highlight the columm and put a comma to seperate it from columm b with just one click of a button instead of going person by person and doing it?
    you could insert a new column for your commas

    or use a formula such as =A1&", "&B1

    you would put this formula in a nother cell, it groups the two cells togethr seperated with a comma

  5. #5
    Wendy FP
    Guest

    RE: Putting In Coma's Need Major Help - Using Text To Columns?!?

    the easiest way to separate all the names would be to use "text to columns"
    under the "Data" menu. This allows you to convert each name into a separate
    column in an extremely fast manner.

    First ensure you have plenty of spare columns. If you have any doubts copy
    the column you wish to split to a brand new blank spreadsheet.

    with the data highlighted
    -->Click on "Data" in the menu bar
    -->Click on "Text to columns"
    -->Select the option most appropriate (if the names are the same length then
    you could use fixed width: however I suspect you will need to use a "space"
    so choose the first option) probably "Delimited"
    -->Click on Next
    -->remove the tick from "Tab" and click inside the "Space" tick box
    -->as you do this you should see an example of how your data will now appear
    in separate columns, click on Next
    -->If you need to format any of the data for anything other than text use
    this screen to select the column and the option in the top right corner to
    change the format.
    --> you are now ready to click on " Finish"
    You should now have all your data displayed in separate columns

    Hope this is helpful and what you wanted to happen!!
    Wendy

  6. #6
    David F. Cox
    Guest

    Re: Putting In Coma's Need Major Help - Using Text To Columns?!?

    I am not sure that I understand the problem. If the names are like "John
    Smith" and you want "John,Smith" instead Substitute will do the trick. e.g
    set up a new column =SUBSTITUTE(C1," ",",",1).

    David F. Cox
    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    No forget nams its basically i have things in columms A thru E. I need each columm seperated by question marks

  8. #8
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver