League Table using Index

  1. #1
    Galway, Ireland

    League Table using Index

    Hello all,

    I've had a quick look around to see if this sort of question had been asked before and couldn't find anything similar.

    I'm fairly new to Excel and am trying to construct a footbal league table with matches matches for 6 teams. So I have a array of the 6 teams, an array called Scores of 6 by 10 to hold each teams score in a particular match, and a 20 by 3 array detailing the matches, both home and away team. Does this make sense?

    I access the team name from the match schedule by
    =INDEX(Teams,(INDEX(Matches,1,1))) for the home team and
    =INDEX(Teams,(INDEX(Matches,1,2))) for the away team, this repeated twice more.

    The score for the matches is found by
    =INDEX(Scores,(INDEX(Matches,1,1)),2) and =INDEX(Scores,(INDEX(Matches,1,2)),2) for the home and away team respectively.

    So far so good and this seems to work, probably going about it all the wrong way though.

    To get the whole season of 10 matches, I have to go in and edit each formula and alter the 1,1 or 1,2 to point to the right team and match.

    It strikes me that this could be a loop, or rather 3 nested loops, or even having a variable and implicitly setting it to a value.

    What would be the best way of going about this. Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: League Table using Index

    Does this help:

    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.LeagueTable.html
    ?
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Galway, Ireland
    Thanks for the super quick response, I'll take a look.