Help with unwanted R1C1 References

  1. #1
    Tony Black
    Guest

    Help with unwanted R1C1 References

    In Excel i have done a group change with a simple formula (a1*b1 in cell c1)
    and it comes up with the reference +RC[-1]*RC[-2] in all active sheets apart
    from the one i am using. I have tried to stop it, the help file only advises
    me to turn off R1C1 in options - it already is! Please help as i have to do
    this many times to over 40 worksheets!

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Canada, Quebec
    Hi Tony

    I don't if this can help
    I am not sure, but if you want to change the string "R3C4" to the string
    "D3", then here is one way to do it.

    Sub Example()
    '// Convert string R3C4 to string D3
    Dim Row, Col, NewAddress, sStr
    sStr = "R3C4"
    With Application
    Row = Val(Mid(sStr, 2))
    Col = Val(Mid(sStr, .Search("C", sStr) + 1))
    End With
    NewAddress = Cells(Row, Col).Address _
    (RowAbsolute:=False, ColumnAbsolute:=False, ReferenceStyle:=xlA1)
    End Sub

  3. #3

    Re: Help with unwanted R1C1 References

    It's interesting to see the inners of excel, huh?

    When you enter a formula, excel "sees/parses" it as R1C1 reference style--but it
    displays the formula the way you want according to that setting.

    Your problem is that in the other sheets, C1 is formatted as Text. Change the
    format to General (or Number or whatever you want except Text) and you'll be ok.

    Ps. In excel, most people start the formula with an equal sign (not + like in
    Lotus 123).