COUNTA failing?

  1. #1

    COUNTA failing?

    In a brand new worksheet in cell D1 I type =counta(d2:d4,"jones").
    I get the answer 1 (one). If I then type jones into cell d3, I get 2.

    Why? Is there a bug in counta?

    **** Penny

  2. #2
    The function is doing what it is suppose to do. The "counta" function counts any string in the selected range.

    Your formula has two strings in the range.

    Frank

  3. #3

    Re: COUNTA failing?

    You sure you didn't mean to use =countif()?

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: COUNTA failing?

    Yeah, but what's strange about this is:

    =counta(d2:d4,"jones")

    Jones evaluates as a #VALUE! error.

    Depending on what version of Excel you have (XP and up) use the
    Tools>Formula Auditiing>Evaluate Formula command.

    The formula evaluates straight through to the result of 1.

    Now, click the Insert Function icon.

    Notice value2 "jones" = #VALUE!

    Biff

    "fcastrofilippo"
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: COUNTA failing?

    COUNTA simply counts the number of nonblanks in the range(s) you specify and
    any values you input as arguments. In your case there is nothing in D2:D4
    and you specified one other argument. Therefore the result of 1 is correct.
    You could put anything in cell d3 and the result would always change to 2.
    You can even insert a value that results in an error (like =NA() or =1/0).

    As Dave mentioned, I think you are using the wrong function. If you want it
    to count the number of cells in D2:D4 that contain "jones" use this formula

    =COUNTIF(D2:D4,"Jones")