Closed Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

match word in one column form list in another

  1. #1
    Filter by first letter
    Guest

    match word in one column form list in another

    two columns of company names - need to take company name in right column and
    see if it matches upu in the lcolun ( list of company names) to the left

  2. #2
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    If your lists are in columns B and C then in A1 copied down

    =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B1,C:C,0)),"Match","")

  3. #3
    Filter by first letter
    Guest

    Re: match word in one column form list in another

    There are numebs and text in the names

  4. #4
    Filter by first letter
    Guest

    Re: match word in one column form list in another

    So to clarify the list in column C has thousands of different company names
    and I am trying to see if that name is in column B which has hundreds of names

  5. #5
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    That formula should work for you.

    It needs to go in A1 then you can fill down as far as the names go in column B

    (should be able to do that automatically - put formula in A1 then put cursor on bottom right of A1 until you see a black +. This is the "fill handle". Still on bottom right corner with + visible double click to fill formula down)

    Don't be put off by the "ISNUMBER" part. It doesn't matter whether your data is text or numeric - what this checks is if the result of the MATCH function is a number or not, if it is you have a match, otherwise you don't.

Closed Thread