Do a data sort to more levels at once

  1. #1

    Do a data sort to more levels at once

    Is there a technique or add-on software or utility that will let me do a Data Sort in excel by 4 or more levels at once. Currently you can only do 3 levels at once. I'd rather not have to separate the files after the first sorting operation, in order to sort more types of fields.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert
    London, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2019
    Posts
    7,065
    Why not concatenate the 4 fields together and sort on that one field. You'll have to be a bit careful how you do this otherwise you wont end up with things in the order you want, but this might work
    Regards
    Special-K

    Ensure you describe your problem clearly, I have little time available to solve these problems and do not appreciate numerous changes to them.

  3. #3

    Smile Hello

    There's a program called DigDB.

    Try this web address:

    http://www.digdb.com/excel_add_ins/s...ltiple_levels/

    It may be of some help.

    Have a great day!

  4. #4
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Do a data sort to more levels at once

    I don't understand when you say "separate the files".

    Simply select your *entire* datalist, then perform a sort on the least
    (last) sort key.
    Now, just do it (the sort) again, with your 3 remaining sort keys in the
    proper order (1st, 2nd, 3rd).

    No need to do *anything* between the sorts.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "Pam LaDue" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  5. #5

    Re: Do a data sort to more levels at once

    Just do the sorting multiple times.

    Do the 3 most important fields last.