searching for and deleting duplicates

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    searching for and deleting duplicates

    Hi ,
    thanks for reading,

    Im having trouble with duplicates in spreadsheets. I need to search in one column for cells that are exactly the same as the cell directly above. In these cases I then need to delete the entire row. Hopefully this is possible!

    Many thanks for any help,

    Shandy

  2. #2
    Martin Yirrell
    Guest

    RE: searching for and deleting duplicates

    Shandy

    What I usually do is put an indicator of the duplicates in a new column like
    this.

    Assuming the column you are testing is A then in B2 I put the formula

    =if(A2=A1,"*","")

    Fill that down for as far as you want to test.

    Then I filter on the * in column B and delete the lines. Not very pretty but
    quite effective.

    Martin

  3. #3

    Thumbs up perfect