Sorting according to priority help!!

  1. #1
    Aravind
    Guest

    Sorting according to priority help!!

    I have a column with priority list High, low and medium. I need to sort the
    whole excel sheet according to that column. or priority list. Is it possible?
    Can anyone give me advice.

  2. #2
    ufo_pilot
    Guest

    RE: Sorting according to priority help!!

    Here's one way:
    Say the words :High, Medium and Low Start in column C, Row1
    then in column B , Row1: =IF(C1="High",1,IF(C1="Medium",2,3)) copy formula
    down
    This will give each word a number High=1, Medium=2 and Low =3
    Now you can use scroll over the list Starting @ B1 and ending at the last
    column, last row and select The sort Acending,or you can use a macro:

    Sub PrioritySort()

    Range("B1:C15").Select
    Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("B1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, _
    OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom
    End Sub

    There are certainly other methods out there, but this one will work for you
    now.

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    That is exactly how sort works. but it only works on continuous data, so anything under a completely blank row will not be sorted, likewise anything to the right of a blank column WITHOUT a header.

  4. #4

    Re: Sorting according to priority help!!

    Tools|Options|Custom Lists tab
    Add your High, Medium, Low

    Then you can sort by this custom list.

    Then select your range
    (make this field the first sort field)
    data|sort|options
    choose your High, Medium, Low list for the sort order.